1) Nitin Gadkari Inaugurated Inland Ferry Services In Goa
Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Shipping and Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari inaugurated Mormugao Port Trust and Drishti Marine’s ambitious inland ferry services in Goa.
- The inaugural plaque was unveiled at the newly constructed Airport Ferry Terminal (AFT) at Baina beach in the distinguished presence of state ministers. The ferry service is aimed at adding quality experience to tourists visiting the coastal state.
2) NITI Aayog, Piramal Foundation Inks Agreement
NITI Aayog and Piramal Foundation have inked Statement of Intent (SoI) to work closely with District Collectors and key officers of ‘Aspirational Districts’ to support their transformation in terms of healthcare, education and nutrition.
- Under the SoI with NITI Aayog, Piramal Foundation will work in close conjunction with district administration, Central Prabhari Officers, State Prabhari Officers, state government and concerned Central ministries to improve identified indicators by strengthening existing public systems specifically in health and nutrition and education sectors.
3) MSDE – Ministry of Agriculture inks MoU for skill development training programs
- Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to conduct skill development training programmes for agriculture and allied sector.
- As per the terms of the MoU, skill development training programmes will be conducted on a regular basis at Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVKs).
- The MoU will be instrumental in achieving government’s goal of developing agriculture as a private enterprise so that it attracts more youth. Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Radha Mohan Singh has expressed hope that this MoU will contribute in realising Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s dream of Kaushal Bharat-Kushal Bharat.
4) Vienna is world’s most liveable city: Quality of Living Survey by Mercer
- As per 20th annual Quality of Living survey by Mercer, Austrian capital Vienna has been named the world’s best city to live in for the ninth consecutive year.Mercer’s annual Quality of Living survey assesses living conditions in 231 cities of the world on 39 factors, grouped under 10 broad categories.
- The 10 categories are: Political and social environment, Economic environment, Socio-cultural environment, Medical and health considerations, Schools and education, Public services and transportation, Recreation, availability of Consumer goods, Housing and Natural Environment.
- Findings of this survey enable multinational companies and other organisations to compensate employees appropriately when placing them on international assignments.
- In this year’s edition, a separate ranking on City Sanitation has also been provided.This ranking is based on assessment of cities’ waste removal and sewage infrastructure, levels of infectious disease, air pollution, water availability and quality.
- Most Liveable Cities – Top 5:
1 Vienna, Austria
2 Zurich, Switzerland
3 Auckland, New Zealand
4 Munich, Germany
5 Vancouver, Canada
5) Kerala Declares Jackfruit As Official Fruit Of State
Jackfruit has attained a respected status with the state government declaring it as the official fruit of Kerala. Kerala has been producing around 30 to 60 crore jackfruits every year.As per the officials, the state can generate a revenue of around Rs 30,000 crore through value-added jackfruit products.
6) Singapore Airport Rated World’s Best, Mumbai Ranked 63rd
The Singapore Changi Airport has been named the world’s best airport for the sixth consecutive year by consultancy firm Skytrax. The Incheon International Airport in South Korea and Haneda Airport in Japan were placed second and third respectively.
While the Mumbai airport (Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport Mumbai) has been ranked 63rd, the airports in Bangalore (Kempegowda International Airport) and Delhi (Indira Gandhi International Airport) are at 64th and 66th place respectively.
7) German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier On 5-Day Visit To India
German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier will arrive in New Delhi on a five-day visit to India. This will be his first visit to India as the President of Germany. He will visit Varanasi.
The German President is also scheduled to attend a business event in New Delhi and visit to Chennai. Germany is India’s largest trading partner in Europe and the 6th largest trading partner in the world.
8) 105th Indian Science Congress- NHAI Receives Best Design Pavilion Award
- The NHAI (National Highways Authority of India) pavilion at 105th Indian Science Congress has been adjudged as Best Design Pavilion. The award was conferred by Dr. Najma Heptulla, Governor of Manipur.
- The NHAI had put up an exhibition stall to showcase its Projects and other initiatives like Electronic Toll Collection, Wayside Amenities, Incident Management, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Road Safety etc.
9) China to build ‘world’s fastest’ wind tunnel
- China has announced that, it is constructing the world’s fastest wind tunnel. It is said that, it would be the world’s fastest hypersonic wind tunnel. It would be used to help in the development of spacecraft.
- A Chinese researcher has said that, the 265 meter-long tunnel would be used to test hypersonic aircraft that can travel up to a speed of 30,625 kph. This speed is 25 times the speed of sound.
10) World Water Day- 22 March
The World Water Day is observed on 22 March every year, to raise awareness about the importance of water. The theme this year is, ‘Nature for Water’ – exploring nature-based solutions to the water challenges the world faces in the 21st century.
An international day to celebrate freshwater was recommended at the 1992 United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) in Rio de Janeiro. The United Nations General Assembly responded by designating 22 March 1993 as the first World Water Day.