1) Karnataka cabinet approves separate religion status for Lingayats
- On March 19, 2018, Karnataka State Government under Chief Minister Siddaramaiah (belonging to Congress Party) approved the separate religion status for the Lingayat community.
- Lingayat community owes allegiance to the 12th century social reform movement initiated by Basaveshwara. The community constitutes about 17 percent of Karnataka’s population mainly residing in northern parts of the state.
- Lingayats have been demanding a separate religion status since long time. Besides, a seven-member committee, formed by Karnataka State Minorities Commission which submitted its report on March 2, 2018 recommended that Lingayats in Karnataka may be considered as a religious minority.
2) Bihar Governor Satya Pal Mallik Gets Additional Charge Of Odisha
3) GIC Re To Operate From Lloyd’s In London
General Insurance Corporation is going to start operations at the Lloyd’s London office in April 2018 thereby increasing its share of international business. This will also facilitate Indian becoming a regional reinsurance center.
This will help GIC Re increase its share of international reinsurance business. The company had received approval to set up a syndicate at Lloyd’s of London in December 2017. GIC Syndicate 1947 will be the first Lloyd’s syndicate to be backed solely by capital from an Indian reinsurance group.
4) Indian Army Releases Book On Paramveer Chakra Awardees
General Bipin Rawat, Chief of the Army Staff released a book on Paramveer Chakra Awardees – ‘Paramveer Parwane’. The book illustrates the bravery of Paramveer Chakra Awardees from 1947 to 1965. The book is written by Dr Prabhakiran Jain and is published by Medha Books.
The book has eleven short stories, poems, and songs highlighting the history of the battles in which the brave soldiers sacrificed their lives and have shown the utmost courage & leadership while facing the enemy during War to protect the motherland.
5) Myanmar President, Htin Kyaw Resigns
6) NCAA becomes World’s First Trusted Digital Repository
- India’s National Cultural Audiovisual Archives (NCAA) has been certified as the world’s first Trusted Digital Repository as per ISO 16363:2012 standard, granted by Primary Trustworthy Digital Repository Authorisation Body Ltd. (PTAB), United Kingdom.
- NCAA is a project of the Union Ministry of Culture, implemented by Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA).
- Objective of NCAA is to identify and preserve India’s cultural heritage available in audiovisual form through a process of digitization and making it accessible to the people. By end of March 2018, a corpus of 30000 hours of unpublished, non-commercial audio & video recordings will be made online at NCAA repository.
7) G-20 Ministers meeting held in Argentina
- First G20 meeting of finance ministers and central bank governors under Presidency of Argentina was held on 19th and 20th March 2018 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- The meeting was attended by 22 finance ministers, 17 Central Bank Governors and 10 heads of international organizations, including International Monetary Fund (IMF) Managing Director, Christine Lagarde and Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme, Achim Steiner.
- Discussions at the this two-day meeting revolved around infrastructure development and the future of work in the digital arena. Interestingly, concerns over U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to slap import tariffs on steel and aluminium, which may trigger a global trade war were not discussed at this meeting.
8) 106th Indian Science Congress To Be Held In Bhopal
9) Government Approves Plastic Park To Be Set Up In Deoghar, Jharkhand
Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs, Mr. Ananthkumar announced that the Government of India has approved the setting up of a Plastic Park in Deoghar District, Jharkhand.
The project would be set up at a cost of Rs. 120 crores in an area of 150 acres. Mr. Ananthkumar also announced the setting up of Rs. 3.5 crore Plastic Recycling unit at Deoghar to tackle the menace of plastic waste being generated due to the place being a tourist attraction.
10) Katrina Kaif becomes brand ambassador for international non-profit organization ‘Educate Girls’
- Bollywood actress Katrina Kaif has been named the brand ambassador of ‘Educate Girls’, an international non-profit organisation.
- As brand ambassador of Educate Girls, Katrina Kaif will work towards creating equal opportunities for girls to access quality education. Educate Girls involves the families, village leaders, local administration and school authorities in its efforts towards educating girls.
11) Team USA concludes Paralympic Winter Games Pyeong Chang 2018 with most successful performance in 16 years
- On 18th March 2018, the Paralympic Winter Games Pyeong Chang 2018 in South Korea, concluded with Team USA having its most successful performance in 16 years.
- Team USA consisted of 74 athletes. It grabbed a total of 36 medals and topped the overall medal count. This is Team USA’s highest medal count since 2002 when it won 43 medals.
- It also topped the gold medal count for the first time since 1992. It topped the overall gold medal count and also the gold medals won on each day of the Games.
You must be logged in to post a comment