1) PM Modi Lays Foundation Stone Of Navi Mumbai Airport
Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the Navi Mumbai International Airport site in Panvel, nearly 21 years after it was mooted.
The first phase the Rs 16,700-crore project is expected to be completed by 2019. This is the country’s largest greenfield airport. Navi Mumbai airport will have capacity of handling 60 million passengers.
2) First India-Japan Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction inaugurated in New Delhi
- On March 19, 2018, Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog, Dr. Rajiv Kumar inaugurated the First India-Japan Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction in New Delhi.
- This workshop has been jointly organised by the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), Union Ministry of Home Affairs and Government of Japan. It is the first formal initiative under the Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) on Disaster Risk Reduction signed between India and Japan in September 2017.
- Speaking at the occasion, Dr. Rajiv Kumar outlined a six-pronged approach to enhance resilience, which includes Risk Identification, Preparedness, Risk Reduction, Financial Protection, Resilient Reconstruction and Societal Awareness.
3) BHEL Commissions 1st Unit Of Kishanganga Hydro Project In Jammu & Kashmir
State-run power equipment maker BHEL has commissioned 1st unit of 110 MW of the Kishanganga hydroelectric project (HEP) of NHPC in Jammu and Kashmir. Located on the river Kishanganga, a tributary of the Jhelum in Bandipora district, all the three units of the 340 MW project will generate 1,350 million units (MU) of clean electricity annually.
- The other two units are also in advanced stages of commissioning. In J&K, Bhel has so far commissioned 31 Hydro sets with a cumulative capacity of 1,257 MW.
4) Indian Navy To Host Bilateral Exercise ‘Varuna’ With French Navy
The Indian Navy and the French Navy have conducted bilateral maritime exercises since May 1993. Since 2001, the exercises have been named VARUNA and there have been fifteen editions of the same till date. The last edition of VARUNA was conducted off the French Coast in April 2017.
This year too VARUNA-18 would be conducted in three sea areas, namely, the Arabian Sea, the Bay of Bengal and South Western Indian Ocean. The conduct of VARUNA and the special impetus on taking this Navy-to-Navy cooperative engagement forward was reiterated in the Joint Statement made by the Prime Minister of India and the President of France.
5) 1st National Workshop On POSHAN Abhiyan Held In New Delhi
The first National workshop on POSHAN Abhiyan involving all the states and union territories was held at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra, New Delhi. The Ministry of Women and Child Development is organising the day-long workshop with participation from all the states/UTs.
It is been organized to provide a complete orientation on the POSHAN Abhiyan, to explain the key components of the Abhiyaan and to provide handholding in using the software involved. The Ministry of WCD is also launching five e-ILA (e-Incremental Learning Approach) courses and two ECCE(Early Childhood Care and Education) software modules.
6) F-16 jet production unit will be set up in India
- Lockheed Martin has announced the setting up of F-16 jet production unit in India.Lockheed Martin is an American aerospace and defence giant. It said that, the F-16 jet production unit to be set up in India will be an exclusive one and will be in line with the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- Lockheed Martin has assured to relocate its entire production line to India. It said that, the unit will not be a mere assembly line. It will be a better facility that has never been provided by any other fighter aircraft manufacturer earlier.
7) India And EU Signed Agreement On Sharing Earth Observation Data
India and the European Union (EU) have signed an agreement that will enable them to share earth observation data from each other’s satellites. The pact was inked in Bengaluru.
The Copernicus programme provides a wide range of applications like climate change, land, ocean and atmosphere monitoring as well as support in forecasting, management and mitigation of natural disasters. Under this arrangement, Indian Space Research Organisation ISRO will share data from its earth observation satellites.
8) IRCTC Ties Up With Ola
9) Li Keqiang re-elected as Prime Minister of China for second term
- On 18th March 2018, Li Keqiang was re-elected as Chinese Prime Minister for a second five-year term.Li Keqiang became Prime Minister of China first in 2013. He has been re-elected as Prime Minister by the members of National People’s Congress (NPC).
- He obtained 2,964 positive votes and two negative votes. Also, Xu Qiliang and Zhang Youxia were elected as vice chairmen of Central Military Commission (CMC).
10) Purva Barve Wins Women’s Singles U-19 Title At Israel Junior 2018
India’s Purva Barve has won the Women’s Singles (Under-19) title at the Israel Junior 2018 Badminton tournament held in Rishon LeZion, Israel.
She has defeated the third-seeded and top-ranked Russian Anastasiia Pustinskaia in three sets. The title is her first in 2018 and third overall. Earlier she won the Israel Junior 2017, Italian Junior International 2017 apart from a bronze at the Russian Junior White Nights 2017.
11) International Day Of Happiness- 20 March
Since 2013, the United Nations has celebrated the International Day of Happiness (on 20th March) as a way to recognise the importance of happiness in the lives of people around the world. The theme for IDH 2018 is “Share Happiness” – focusing on the importance of relationships, kindness and helping each other.
The World Happiness Report 2018 was also released recently that ranks 156 countries by their happiness levels, and 117 countries by the happiness of their immigrants. Finland was ranked as the happiest country in the list and Burundi in East Africa is the unhappiest place in the world. India ranks 133rd in the report after Pakistan (75th), China (86th) and Nepal (101st).
12) Veteran Hindi Poet Kedarnath Singh Passes Away
You must be logged in to post a comment