1) Shri Ananthkumar inaugurates 18th All India Whips’ Conference at Udaipur, Rajasthan
- The 18th All India Whips’ Conference was inaugurated by Shri Ananthkumar, Union Minister for Parliamentary Affairs and Chemical & Fertilizers at Udaipur, Rajasthan. The two-day conference is hosting around 90 Delegates belonging to 19 States and Centre.
- On this occasion a coffee table book ‘New India – We Resolve to make’ showcasing exhibitions held at 39 destinations across the country on India’s freedom movement from 1857 to 1947 showing the various activities initiated to attain the freedom from British Rule and the five-year period from 2017 to 2022 to provide a unique opportunity of ‘Sankalp se Sidhi’ towards a ‘New India’ was released by Smt. Vasundhara Raje.
2) Defence innovation centre to come up in Coimbatore
- Union minister Nirmala Sitharaman unveiled the Centre’s plan to set up a defence manufacturing innovation centre in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu and said she has asked the secretary of defence production to sanction Rs 20 crore for the purpose. This has been a long pending demand from the micro, small and medium entrepreneurs (MSMEs) in the city.
- “A good number of micro units engaged in supply of components to the sector would converge and bring to the table the patented products for display. A visit to the expo will help you understand the needs of the defence sector,” she said and agreed to a suggestion from the audience on the need for creation of a data bank on the component production requirements and supply details of the same to the sector.
3) Bilateral Annual Haj 2018 Agreement between India and Saudi Arabia Signed
According to the Union Minister for Minority Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, Saudi Arabia has given the green signal for India’s decision to revive the option of sending Haj pilgrims through sea route also.
The practice of ferrying Haj pilgrims between Mumbai and Jeddah by waterways was stopped from 1995. For the first time, Muslim women from India will go to Haj without “Mehram” (male companion). Separate accommodation and transport has been arranged for these women Haj pilgrims in Saudi Arabia and women “Haj Assistant” will be deployed for their assistance.
4) Iran bans English from being taught in primary schools
- Iran has banned teaching the English language in primary schools, calling the subject a “cultural invasion”.
- The education ministry “envisages strengthening Persian language skills and Iranian Islamic culture of pupils at the primary school stage”.
5) Haryana Becomes First State to Launch High Risk Pregnancy Portal
Haryana has become the first state in the country to launch High Risk Pregnancy (HRP) Portal. This portal not only helps in early identification of high-risk pregnant cases up to the grass-roots level but also ensures their timely referral to the civil hospitals for further management and delivery by specialists.
- This innovative web application has been designed to track every high risk pregnant woman till 42 days after delivery, so that she receives adequate treatment during the ante-natal period for healthy outcome of pregnancy.
6) Indian Navy Signs MoU with Cochin Port Trust
- The Indian Navy has inked an MoU with the Cochin Port Trust (CPT), Kerala towards leasing of 228 metres of berths at Mattancherry Wharf for a period of five years.
- The MoU has been concluded to cater for the futuristic requirements of the Navy with the sizeable increase in its fleet scheduled in the near future. This is the first time such an agreement has been signed between the Navy and CPT.
7) NPCI appoints Dilip Asbe as new MD and CEO
- Payment utility major National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) announced the appointment of Dilip Asbe as its Managing Director and CEO with immediate effect.
8) Akshay Kumar roped in by BMC for Swachh Survekshan 2018
- Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar has been roped in by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation -BMC to promote cleanliness in Mumbai as part of the Swachh Survekshan 2018.
- The Swachh Survekshan this year commenced from January 4 and will run till March 10 by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs ranking urban and rural areas of the country on the basis of cleanliness.
9) CM Nitish receives Mufti Mohammad Sayeed award in J&K
- Bihar Chief minister Nitish Kumar has been given the first Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life.
- The award was constituted recently by the Jammu and Kashmir government to commemorate the death anniversary of PDP founder and two-time J&K chief minister Sayeed who died on January 7, 2016 after nearly a week-long hospitalization in New Delhi. Sayeed was father of J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti.
10) Golden Globe Awards 2018: The Complete List of Winners
- The 75th Golden Globe Award ceremony was held in Los Angeles, the USA. “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” dominated the 2018 Golden Globes, taking home four statues, including best drama, best screenplay, and acting awards for Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell in the drama category. Seth Meyers hosted the star-studded show.
Here is the Complete List of Winners of Golden Globe Awards 2018-1. Best motion picture, drama: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.2. Best motion picture, musical or comedy: Lady Bird.3. Best director, motion picture: Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water”.4. Best performance by an actress in a motion picture, drama: Frances McDormand.5. Best performance by an actor in a motion picture, drama: Gary Oldman.6. Best performance by an actress in a motion picture, musical or comedy: Saoirse Ronan.7. Best performance by an actor in a motion picture, musical or comedy: James Franco.8. Best motion picture, animated: Coco9. Best motion picture, foreign language: In the Fade10. Best television series, drama: The Handmaid’s Tale, Hulu11. Best performance by an actress in a television series, drama: Elisabeth Moss.12. Best performance by an actor in a television series, drama: Sterling K. Brown.
11) India’s first all-women station in Mumbai enters Limca records
- The first all-women station in India, Matunga on Central Railway (CR) in Mumbai, manned by a staff of 41 women, has entered the Limca Book of Records. The unique initiative was taken by CR General Manager D.K. Sharma in July 2017 with the aim of empowering women.
- Accordingly, women staffers were posted across all departments, like 17 ladies for operations and commercial, six Railway Protection Force, eight for ticket checking, two announcers and two conservancy staffers, and five point persons, totalling 41.
12) Senior sports journalist Shashikant Bhagwat passes away
- Senior sports journalist Shashikant Bhagwat has passed away following a heart attack. Bhagwat was associated with `Sakal’, a leading Marathi daily, for several years and retired from the newspaper