1) FY16 GDP Growth Revised Up To 8.2%, FY17 Unchanged At 7.1%- CSO
The Central Statistics Office (CSO) revised the gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate for 2015-16 to 8.2% from the earlier estimates of 8% and kept the 2016-17 growth unchanged at 7.1%. The real GDP or GDP at constant (2011-12) prices for the years 2016-17 and 2015-16 stand at Rs121.96 trillion and Rs113.86 trillion respectively, according to the CSO statement.
In terms of real gross value added (GVA), it stated that the GVA at constant (2011-12) basic prices grew 7.1% in 2016- 17, as against a growth of 8.1% in 2015-16. According to advance GDP estimates of CSO, the GVA growth on 2011-12 price was estimated at 6.6% for 2016-17. Under the third revision, the CSO has estimated GDP growth in 2014-15 at 7.4% from earlier estimates of 7.5%.
2) Bihar cabinet grants Rs 105 crore for Bihar Mahadalit Vikas Mission
- On 30th January 2018, the Bihar cabinet allocated funds worth Rs 105 crore for Bihar Mahadalit Vikas Mission, which formulates and implements schemes for the most backward sections among the Scheduled Castes.
- This was declared in a Bihar cabinet meeting headed by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.The Bihar Mahadalit Vikas Mission was established in 2008. It is an autonomous body and functions under the SC/ST Welfare Department.
- In the cabinet meeting, it was also decided to construct a high security jail in Phulwarisharif block of Patna. The construction of this jail would cost around Rs 56.72 crore. Maoists and dangerous criminals will be held in this jail.
3) India Slips To 42nd Place On Global Democracy Index; Norway Tops The List
- India has ranked 42nd on the Economist Intelligence Unit’s (EIU) Global Democracy Index 2017. This marks a drop by 10 spots as compared to 32nd rank last year.
- The five categories are – electoral process and pluralism, functioning of government, civil liberties, political participation and political culture.
- Countries in the index have been placed under four broad categories full democracy, flawed democracy, hybrid regime and authoritarian regime. Global Democracy Index was first published in 2006.
- London-Headquartered EIU (founded in 1946) is owned by the Economist Group.
4) INS Karanj- Third Scorpene Class Submarine Launched By Indian Navy
Indian Navy launched ‘INS Karanj’, the third of the six indigenous Scorpene-class submarines. The submarine, equipped with superior stealth features and precision-guided weapons, has been built at Mumbai’s Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited.
Admiral Sunil Lanba, Chief of the Naval Staff, was the chief guest on the occasion. The submarine has an overall length of 67.5 meters and a height of about 12.3 metres.
5) Axis Bank Launches 4th Edition Of “Evolve”
Private sector Axis Bank launched the fourth edition of ‘Evolve’ in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. It is an annual multi-city knowledge series for Bank’s small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) customers. The current edition of ‘evolve’ is titled as “Transform your Family Business into your dream company”.
It will empower the SMEs to understand the winning strategies and best practices that have helped some of the leading family businesses in India grow into the reputable enterprise. This edition will span across 30 cities.
6) Lt. Gen Anil Chauhan takes charge as DGMO of Indian Army
- On 30th January 2018, Lt. Gen Anil Chauhan assumed charge as the new Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) of the Indian Army.
- Lt. Gen Anil Chauhan replaces Lt General A K Bhatt. Lt General A K Bhatt will take charge of Srinagar-based 15 Corps.
- Lt. Gen Anil Chauhan has held various important posts in the Army. He has vast experience in counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir and Northeastern regions.
7) Google Introduces A New App Named “Bulletin”
Google has introduced a new app named “Bulletin” that allows anybody to submit stories for and about their communities. This is a free, lightweight app for telling a story by capturing photos, video clips and text right from your phone, published straight to the web.
The app is made for contributing hyperlocal stories about your community. The application has been launched as a limited pilot project and is available in Nashville, Tennessee and Oakland, California.
8) Melbourne To Host Final Of 2020 World T20
Melbourne Cricket Ground will host the final of both the men’s and women’s World Twenty20 when the tournaments come to Australia in 2020.
It will mark the first time the tournaments are held as stand-alone events in the same year in the same country. The women’s final will coincide with International Women’s Day (8th March).
9) World’s oldest man Francisco Nunez Olivera dead at 113
- On 29th January 2018, Francisco Nunez Olivera named “the world’s oldest man” passed away in Bienvenida village, Spain.
- He died just a month after he turned 113 years. He was born on 13 December 1904.
- His long life has been credited to his consumption of vegetables he cultivated in his own land and a glass of red wine every day.
- Spanish media mentions Francisco Nunez Olivera as the world’s oldest man. But his name is not mentioned in the list of Gerontology Research Group.
You must be logged in to post a comment