1) NITI Aayog Launches ‘Healthy States, Progressive India Report’
- On February 9, 2018, NITI Aayog launched the ‘Healthy States, Progressive India’ Report. The report was jointly released by NITI Aayog CEO – Amitabh Kant, Ministry of Health, Secretary – Preeti Sudan and World Bank India Country Director – Junaid Ahmad.
- The report ranks Indian States and Union territories (UTs) on their year-on-year incremental change in health outcomes, as well as, their overall performance with respect to each other.
- n order to ensure fair comparison, rankings have been assigned by placing States and UTs in three categories namely viz. Larger States, Smaller States, and Union Territories (UTs).
- The report has been developed through comprehensive study and has incorporated inputs from World Bank, India and Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
2) RK Singh Launches ASH TRACK Mobile App For Better Management Of Fly Ash
Union Minister of State (IC) for Power and New & Renewable Energy, Shri R.K Singh, launched a Web-based monitoring System and a Fly Ash mobile application named ASH TRACK.
These platforms will enable better management of the ash produced by thermal power plants by providing an interface between fly ash producers (Thermal Power Plants) and potential ash users such as – road contractors, cement plants etc
3) PlastIndia 2018: International plastics exhibition held in Gandhinagar
- On 7th February 2018, PlastIndia, 10th edition of international plastics exhibition, started in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- PlastIndia 2018 is held for 6 days from 7th February 2018 to 12th February 2018. It was inaugurated by Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani. It is organized by Plastindia Foundation.
- It has participation from buyers and sellers from nearly 28 countries. New products and technologies are displayed by national and international sellers.
4) President inaugurates 88th Mahamastakabhisheka at Shravanabelagola
- On 7th February 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the 88th Mahamastakabhisheka Mahotsav of Lord Gomateshwara at Shravanabelagola in Hassan district, Karnataka.
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Mahamastakabhisheka Mahotsav by unveiling an idol of Bahubali. He also lit a lamp to kick start the event.
- The Mahamastakabhisheka Mahotsav is held once in 12 years. It has been celebrated for nearly 1,000 years.
- Karnataka Governor Vajubha Vala, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, Charukeerthi Bhattaraka Swami, Jain saint Acharya Vardhamana Sagar, and Veerendra Heggade of Dharmastala, were also present at the inauguration ceremony.
5) Swaraj meets Saudi King, inaugurates Janadriyah festival
- On February 7, 2018, Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj met Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz and inaugurated ‘Janadriyah’, the national heritage and cultural festival of Saudi Arabia at Riyadh.
- India was accorded the ‘Guest of Honour’ status at the Janadriyah Festival.
- The Indian Pavilion at the Janadriyah Festival was based on the theme “Saudi ka Dost Bharat”.
- It showcased the core values and traditions of India and presented a kaleidoscope of India’s vibrant culture through a colourful dance and music extravaganza.
6) Forbes releases first cryptocurrency rich list; Chris Larsen at the top
- Forbes has released its first ever list of richest people in terms of cryptocurrency ownership. During 2017, cryptocurrency garnered lot of attention owing to meteoric price appreciation witnessed in popular cryptocurrencies viz. Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP.
- With an estimated crypto net worth of $7.5-8 billion, Ripple co-founder Chris Larsen has topped this inaugural list.
- Forbes report has outlined that currently there are nearly 1500 cryptoassets in existence. Combined valuation of all the cryptoassets stands at $550 billion.
- Among others who featured on the list include Joseph Lubin with crypto net worth of $1-5 billion, Changpeng Zhao ($1.1-2 billion), Cameron & Tyler Winklevoss ($900 million-1.1 billion) and Matthew Mellon ($900 million-1.1 billion).
7) CCI Slaps Rs 136 Crore Fine On Google For Unfair Business Practices
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has imposed a fine of around Rs. 136 crores on search engine major Google for unfair business practices in the Indian market for online search.
- The penalty is being imposed on Google for infringing anti-trust conduct. It was alleged that Google is indulging in abuse of dominant position in the market for online search through practices leading to search bias and search manipulation, among others.
8) PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi Becomes ICC’s 1st Independent Female Director
PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi has been appointed as the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) first-ever independent female director. Nooyi will join the cricket body in June 2018 for a 2-year term.
The introduction of an Independent Director, who must be female, was approved by the ICC in June 2017, aimed at improving the global governance of the sport.
9) NPCI appoints Biswamohan Mahapatra as non-executive chairman
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has appointed Biswamohan Mahapatra as non-executive chairman for two years.
- biswamohan Mahapatra replaces B Sambamurthy. B Sambamurthy was the interim chairman of NPCI. Recently Dilip Asbe was appointed as Managing Director of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
10) Smriti Mandhana to be new brand ambassador of Bata’s sport wear brand ‘Power’
- On 7th February 2018, Smriti Mandhana, Indian cricketer, was appointed the new brand ambassador of ‘Power’, Bata’s sport wear brand.
- Smriti Mandhana is 21 years old. She is an Indian women’s cricket team opener. From February 2018, she will start with the promotion works for Power’s latest range of products.
- Her performance at the ICC (International Cricket Council) Women’s World Cup 2017 earned her fame and reputation.
11) Abhilasha Kumari sworn-in as Chief Justice of Manipur High Court
- On 9th February 2018, Justice Abhilasha Kumari took charge as the Chief Justice of Manipur High Court.
- Justice Abhilasha Kumari’s oath ceremony was administered by Manipur Governor Najma Heptulla.
- She was transferred from the Gujarat High Court. She hails from Himachal Pradesh. Her father is former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh.
- She started her practice in the Himachal Pradesh High Court. She was appointed the additional advocate general for Himachal Pradesh. In December 2005, she was made the Gujarat High Court judge.
12) Justice Antony Dominic sworn in as Chief Justice of Kerala
- On 9th February 2018, Antony Dominic, Acting Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court, took charge as the Chief Justice of Kerala.
- Justice Antony Dominic’s oath as Chief Justice of Kerala was administered by Kerala Governor P. Sadasivam.
- Justice Dominic hails from Kottayam district of Kerala. He obtained his law degree from SDM Law College, Mangalore. In 1981, He started his law practice in the Judicial First Class Magistrate Court in Kanjirapally.
You must be logged in to post a comment