1) HAL Develops First Hawk-I Flight
The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited has developed the first flight of Hawk-i with indigenous Real Time Operating System (RTOS). Hawk-i is the first indigenous RTOS developed in India from scratch and certified by Center for Military Airworthiness and Certification (CEMILAC).
The RTOS is the system software which provides a standard run-time environment for real-time applications execution in a safe and reliable manner.
2) Defence Minister appoints panel under Vinay Sheel Oberoi to expedite capital acquisition
- Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has formed Raksha Mantri’s Advisory Committee on Ministry of Defence (MoD) Capital Projects (RMCOMP) to monitor and expedite capital acquisition projects for modernisation of armed forces.
- The Raksha Mantri’s Advisory Committee on Ministry of Defence (MoD) Capital Projects (RMCOMP) is a 13-member advisory committee.
- It will carry out independent review and check the status of ongoing important projects worth over Rs 500 crore. It will also recommend methods to improve the capital acquisition process.
- The committee will review various categories of projects like “Buy” (Indian) and “Buy and Make” (Indian).
3) South Central Railway becomes 1st rail zone with 100% LED lighting at stations
- On 7th February 2018, South Central Railway (SCR) announced that, it has become the first railway zone in India to achieve 100 % LED lighting at every station under its jurisdiction.
- South Central Railway (SCR) chief public relations officer M Umashankar Kumar said that, SCR has become the first zone in Indian Railways to accomplish 100 % LED lighting in all 733 stations under its jurisdiction.
- He also said that, this LED lighting facility would save 32 lakh units of electrical energy amounting to Rs 2.7 crore per year.
4) RBI To Set Up Ombudsman For Non-Banking Finance Companies
The Reserve Bank of India announced setting up ombudsman for addressing customer grievances in the non-banking finance companies. The rules will be laid out by the end of February 2018.
RBI will start with deposit-taking NBFCs and widen the scope to cover NBFCs with asset size of Rs 100 crore. There are around 20 banking ombudsmen have been appointed with offices mostly in state capitals.
5) Karnataka panel proposes 3-colour official state flag
- Karnataka committee to analyse possibility of a separate flag for the state has submitted a report, suggesting an official three-coloured flag to replace an unofficial two-coloured flag currently in use.
- In June 2017, Karnataka’s Kannada and Culture department appointed a committee to study the possibility of having a separate flag for Karnataka.
- The committee was headed by G S Siddaramaya, chairman of Kannada Development Authority.
- This committee has recommended a flag in yellow and red colour, with white colour in the middle containing the state symbol.
6) Dubai Retains Rank As World’s Busiest International Airport In 2017
Dubai International Airport has held on to its No 1 ranking as the world’s busiest airport for international travel, after seeing around 88.2 million passengers in 2017.
Dubai International Airport first surpassed London Heathrow as the world’s busiest airport for international traffic in 2014. It has maintained the title ever since, with some 90 airlines flying into Dubai, a gateway for East-West travel.
7) First Ever Chat Based Job Search App ‘Empzilla’ Launched
The first ever of its kind in the country chat-based job search mobile app ‘Empzilla’ is being launched that will do away with existing limitations of employers and job seekers making selection process quick and cost-effective.
The mobile app gets the conversation between employers and job seekers going in seconds and the latter can chat with the potential employers.
8) THE World University Rankings 2018: More Indian Universities in Asia’s Top 200
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay are the only two Indian institutions to feature among Top 50 educational institutes in Asia in TIMES Higher Education (THE) World University Ranking’s.
- Among Indian institutes, Indian Institute of Science (IISc) ranked highest at 29th. IISc is followed by IIT, Bombay at 44th. Total 17 institutes from India featured in the list this year.
- Interestingly, although number of Indian institutes featuring in the list has increased, rank of many institutes has dropped as compared to last year.
- National University of Singapore has been adjudged as Asia’s top university for the third consecutive year.
9) 5th South Asia Region Public Procurement Conference Held In New Delhi
The Fifth edition of South Asia Region Public Procurement Conference was held in New Delhi. It was hosted by Public Procurement Division (PPD) of Ministry of Finance and All India Management Association (AIMA).
It was held under auspices of South Asia Region Public Procurement Network (SARPPN), which is sponsored and facilitated by the World Bank, Asian Development Bank and Islamic Development Bank. The theme this edition of the conference was “Public Procurement and Service Delivery”.
10) Bangladesh elects Abdul Hamid as president for second consecutive term
- On 7th February 2018, Bangladesh President Abdul Hamid was re-elected unopposed for another five-year term.
- Abdul Hamid has been re-elected as Bangladesh President for a second 5 year term as no one else contested for the President post. Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda made this announcement.
- The Awami League had nominated Abdul Hamid as Presidential candidate. Abdul Hamid is 74 years old. He was first elected as President of Bangladesh in 2013. He has 60 years of experience in politics.
11) Hardayal Prasad appointed as SBI Card MD & CEO
- On 5th February 2018, Hardayal Prasad was appointed as Managing Director and CEO of SBI Card.
- Hardayal Prasad replaces Vijay Jasuja. Vijay Jasuja retired on 31st January 2018. Hardayal Prasad’s appointment as MD and CEO came to effect from 1st February 2018.
- Hardayal Prasad joined State Bank of India in 1983 as a Probationary Officer. He has worked in various locations in different circles and countries. He has vast experience in many areas of banking.
You must be logged in to post a comment