1) Maharashtra govt approves new wildlife sanctuary at Ghodazari
- Maharashtra State Government has approved Ghodazari in Chandrapur district as a new wildlife sanctuary in the state.
- This decision was taken at the 13th meeting of the Maharashtra State Board for Wildlife, held on January 31, 2018.
- The meeting was chaired by Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
- The new wildlife sanctuary will include 159 sq km of Brahmapuri forest. This decision will not only help in conserving the forest but will also benefit nearly 40 villages in the region on account of consequential increase of tourism related activities.
2) International Conference on ‘Demetrios Galanos and His Legacy’ begins in New Delhi
- International Conference on ‘Demetrios Galanos and His Legacy’ was inaugurated at Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) in New Delhi on February 3, 2018.
- Demetrios Galanos was a Greek scholar who came to India to study in the nineteenth century. He stayed in India for 47 years (for 40 years he lived in the city of Varanasi).
- During the course of his stay, Demetrios Galanos compiled a Sanskrit-English-Greek lexicon of about 9000 words. He also translated the Bhagvad Gita into Greek.
- 8-day International Conference on ‘Demetrios Galanos and His Legacy’ is being held in Delhi as well as Varanasi. It has been organised by IGNCA.
3) Government makes PAN mandatory for transactions over Rs. 2.5 lakh
- As announced in Union Budget 2018, providing Permanent Account Number (PAN) will be mandatory for any entity entering into a financial transaction of Rs 2.5 lakh or more with effect from April 1, 2018.
- As per Finance Bill 2018, through which the Budget is passed, Permanent Account Number (PAN) would be used as Unique Entity Number for non-individuals.
- Thus, every non-individual entity shall be required to apply to the Assessing Officer for allotment of PAN.
- It has also been proposed that managing director, director, CEO, partner , founder or any person competent to act on behalf of such entities shall also apply to the Assessing Officer for allotment of PAN.
4) PM Modi Inaugurates Investors’ Summit In Assam
One hundred and sixty MoUs with investment proposals of over 64,000 crore rupees were signed on the opening day of the first ever global investors summit at Guwahati in Assam.
The summit hosted by the Assam government is a new beginning and will open a new chapter in boosting the relationship with ASEAN countries. The MoUs were signed by hundreds of industry leaders for investment in the state.
5) India contributes $1 mn to UN Development Partnership Fund
- On February 1, 2018, India contributed an additional $1 million to the India-UN Development Partnership Fund earmarked for South-South cooperation.
- This latest contribution of India is aimed at intensifying its partnerships with other developing countries.
- India-UN Development Partnership Fund was launched in June 2017 for supporting sustainable development projects in Least Developed Countries and Small Island Developing States.
- India has pledged a multi-year contribution of $100 million to this fund, out of which, it has already provided $6 million so far.
6) Environment Ministry launches ‘Green Good Deeds’ campaign for climate change and global warming
- On February 3, 2018, Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr Harsh Vardhan appealed to the teaching community to join the ‘Green Good Deeds’ campaign.
- This campaign has been launched by Environment Ministry to sensitise students about climate change and global warming.
- ’Gree Goof Deeds’ campaign is based on the premise that it is the moral responsibility of current generation to restore and return the clean and green environment to the next generation.
- A mobile application – ‘Dr Harsh Vardhan’ has also been launched to reach out to people across India and provide information about ‘Green Good Deeds’ campaign.
7) CRISIL, SIDBI Launch India’s First MSE Sentiment Index
The Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Mr Arun Jaitley launched CriSidEx , India’s first sentiment index for micro and small enterprises ( MSEs) developed jointly by CRISIL & SIDBI.
CriSidEx is a composite index based on a diffusion index of 8 parameters and measures MSE business sentiment on a scale of 0 (extremely negative ) to 200 ( extremely positive). CriSidEx will have 2 indices , one for the ‘survey quarter’ and another for the ‘next quarter’ once a trend emerges after few rounds of the survey , providing independent time series data.
8) Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain appointed new chief justice of Bangladesh
- Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain has been appointed as Chief Justice of Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh President Md Abdul Hamid administered Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain’s oath as the 22nd chief justice of the Supreme Court in Dhaka.
- The previous Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha resigned in November 2017. Justice Md Abdul Wahhab Miah was appointed as the acting chief justice.
- Syed Mahmud Hossain was born on 31 December 1954. He started practicing as a lawyer in 1981.
9) MIFF 2018 honours Shyam Benegal with V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award
- On 3rd February 2018, film maker Shyam Benegal was awarded the V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award of the Mumbai International Film Festival for Documentary, Shorts & Animation Films – MIFF 2018.’
- The V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Shyam Benegal by C Vidyasagar Rao, Governor of Maharashtra, at the MIFF 2018 Valedictory Function at the National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA) in Mumbai.
- The award consisted of a Trophy, a shawl, citation and cash prize of Rs 10 lakhs. The award recognizes Shyam Benegal’s contribution to the documentary movements in India.
- He has made 28 feature films and 41 documentaries. ‘Satyajit Ray’ and ‘Nehru’ are some of his award winning films. He has also received Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Dadasaheb Phalke Award.
10) Saurav Ghosal Becomes The Highest-Ranked Indian Squash Player
- India’s leading squash player, Saurav Ghosal jumped five places to No. 14 to become the highest ranked Indian in the latest Professional Squash Association (PSA) rankings.
- Ghosal beat Joshna Chinappa who slipped three places to No. 17 while Dipika Pallikal Karthik remained on 20. Former Indian national champion Harinder Pal Sandhu was placed at 49th.
11) India Lifts U-19 World Cup 2018
India has defeated Australia to lift the Under 19 World cup for the fourth time. The Men in Blue defeated the three-time champions Australia at Bay Oval, New Zealand.
The Australian team had set the target of 217 runs and was chased down easily by India. Manjot Kalra was the Hero of the match with his brilliant century.
12) World Cancer Day – February 4
- On 4th February 2018, World Cancer Day was observed all over the world.
- World Cancer Day is observed every year on 4th February. The World Cancer Day was founded by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) in the idea of supporting the goals of World Cancer Declaration that was written in 2008.
- World Cancer Day aims to spread awareness about cancer, its prevention, detection, and treatment. Its main aim is to reduce illness and death due to cancer by 2020.
- The theme for World Cancer Day for 2016-2018 period is: ‘We Can. I can.’ On the World Cancer Day people are expected to contribute towards reducing the impact of cancer worldwide.
You must be logged in to post a comment