1) Iran President’s India Visit
- President of Iran, Hassan Rouhani was on a three-day visit to India from 15th – 17thFebruary, 2018.
- On February 15, 2018, Mr. Rouhani arrived in Hyderabad. He chose to begin his India tour from Hyderabad as the city has a long history of cultural and religious ties with Iran. It is to be noted that, currently, around 40000 Iranians live in Hyderabad.
- On February 15, 2018, Mr. Rouhani addressed Muslim intellectuals, religious scholars and students at a hotel in Hyderabad.
- On February 17, 2018, Mr. Rouhani held a bilateral meeting with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi. During this meeting, both the leaders reviewed the progress of India-Iran bilateral relations and discussed issues of mutual interest.
- Mr. Rouhani also gifted an animated version of Kalila Wa Demna (Farsi translation of the Panchatantra) and a copy of the Mahabharat in Farsi to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- India-Iran ink 9 pacts, special focus on Chabahar port
After delegation-level talks on February 17, 2018, India and Iran signed following 9 pacts:
- Maritime Agreement on Chabahar Port and Document on Shahid Behesti port
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Exemption of Visa requirements for diplomatic passport holders
- MoU on Establishment on Trade
- Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement
- Ratification of Extradition Treaty
- Agreement for Co-operation in Medicine
- MoU on Cooperation in Health
- Co-operation on Cooperation on Agriculture
- MoU on Postal cooperation
- On February 17, 2018, India and Iran signed a leasing agreement for giving operational control of Shahid Beheshti port to India for a period of 18 months. Shahid Beheshti port is the phase one of the Chabahar port, located on Iran’s east coast.
- From Indian perspective, Chabahar port (easily accessible from India’s western coast) will serve as an alternative trade route to Afghanistan and other Central Asian countries, bypassing Pakistan.
- Pakistan has been denying transit permission for trade between India and Afghanistan by citing the reason that India is using Afghanistan as a base to destabilise Pakistan.
2) China To Host 2018 SCO Summit At Qingdao In June
China will host 2018 Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Summit at Qingdao, eastern Shandong Province in June 2018. China had taken over rotating chair of SCO after 17th SCO summit concluded in Astana, capital of Kazakhstan in June 2017.
SCO is a Eurasian economic, political and security organisation headquartered in Beijing, China. It was founded in 2001.
3) Unmanned Russian Cargo Ship Progress MS-08 Launched
4) Lok Sabha speaker Sumitra Mahajan inaugurates CPA conference
- Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan inaugurated the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) conference in Patna, Bihar.
- The two-day conference will mainly deliberate on parliament’s role in the development agenda and legislature and judiciary – two important pillars of democracy.
5) Shilpa Shetty’s The Dairy of Domestic Diva Launched
- After the success of her first book The Great Indian Diet, actress cum entrepreneur, and now an author, Shilpa Shetty has released her second book. It is called The Dairy Of Domestic Diva.
- The Dairy of Domestic Diva is a cookbook that contains recipes of various dishes along with the calorie intake details.
You must be logged in to post a comment