1) NITI Aayog, KPIT technologies tie-up to promote innovation in schools
- KPIT technologies has made a two-year statement of intent with NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog to promote innovative skills of students.
- This tie up between NITI Aayog and KPIT aims to improve the innovative skills of senior secondary students as part of the Atal Innovation Mission (AIM).
- Through AIM, the Central government would conduct open-ended workshops at Atal Tinkering Laboratories(ATL) to enable students learn through ‘do-it-yourself’ mode. Through this the students would acquire important skills.
- This tie up will help students learn concepts of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) through robotics, Internet of Things (IoT) and 3D printing.
2) PM Modi Launched Three Key Projects In Arunachal Pradesh
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched several projects in Arunachal Pradesh. He inaugurated the Dorjee Khandu state convention centre at a function in Itanagar. The Centre has an auditorium, conference halls and an exhibition hall.
Prime Minister’s focus was also on the information revolution and now, the newly erected Secretariat building in the state capital is a big step in that direction.The building will have digital technology at its core and will have 2,500 officers and other employees.
3) India’s biggest global pharma conference ‘India Pharma & India Medical Device 20180’: Affordable and Quality Healthcare, begins in Bengaluru
- On 15th – 17th February 2018, ‘India Pharma & India Medical Device 2018’: Affordable and Quality Healthcare is held in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- The ‘India Pharma & India Medical Device 2018’ is organized by Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI).
- The theme for ‘India Pharma & India Medical Device 2018’ is: ‘Driving NextGen Pharmaceuticals’.
- Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers, Ananth kumar inaugurated the conference. This is the 3rd International exhibition and conference on Pharmaceutical & Medical Device sector.
- World Health Organization is conducting a workshop on ‘Regulatory System Strengthening and Prequalification’. NASSCOM organizes a conference on ‘Digital Transformation through Innovation in Pharmaceutical, Medical Devices and Healthcare Industries’.
4) India’s first Radio Festival held in Delhi
- On 15th February 2018, India’s first Radio Festival was held in New Delhi, commemorating the World Radio Day which was celebrated on 13thFebruary.
- he Radio festival was organised by International Association of Women in Radio and Television along with UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization).
- Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Anju Nigam, Director General of AIR Fayaz Sheheryar, Director General of Door Darshan Supriya Sahu and UNESCO representative to India Shigeru Aoyagi spoke at the occasion.
- Paralympian Deepa Malik spoke at the inaugural session of the event, on the role of radio in sports.
5) India To Host 8th Theatre Olympics
In an effort to put India firmly among the top nations in the world theatre map, the country will play host to the 8th Theatre Olympics, the greatest carnival of thespianism.
The 51-day theatre extravaganza which will be inaugurated at Red Fort, will see 450 shows including 65 shows by international artistes, 600 ambient performances and 250 youth forum shows.
6) President Kovind inaugurates international conference ‘Agricon 2018’ in Kanpur
- On February 14, 2018, President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the international conference ‘Agricon 2018’ and ‘Agriexpo 2018’ at Chandrashekhar Azad University of Agriculture & Technology (CSAUT), Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik and Uttar Pradesh Agriculture Minister Surya Pratap Shahi were also present at the inauguration ceremony.
- The conference has been organised under the joint auspices of The Society of Agricultural Professionals, Kanpur and Chandra Shekhar Azad University of Agriculture & Technology, Kanpur.
7) India’s defence budget breaks into world’s top 5: UK report
- According to the ‘Military Balance 2018’ report by the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), India overtook the UK as the fifth-largest defence spender in the world in 2017.
- For the year 2017, India’s Defence Budget stood at $52.5 billion, up from $51.1 billion in 2016.
- UK’s defence budget fell from $52.5 billion in 2016 to $50.7 billion in 2017. With $602.8 billion, US had the highest Defence budget during 2017.
- India’s neighbour China occupied the second position with $150.5 billion Defence budget – almost three times as compared to India.
8) Cyril Ramaphosa Sworn In As New President Of South Africa
Cyril Ramaphosa, head of the ruling African National Congress (ANC) has been sworn in as South Africa’s new President. He was elected as the new president of South Africa by the ruling party politicians after the resignation of Jacob Zuma.
The country’s 400-member parliament, dominated by the ruling African National Congress Party (ANC), elected Ramaphosa to finish his predecessor’s term, which ends with elections in 2019. The ANC has finished first in every national vote since the end of white-minority rule in 1994.
9) KP Sharma Oli named as Nepal’s next Prime Minister
- On 14th February 2018, KP Sharma Oli was named the next Prime Minister of Nepal.
- Two months after the parliamentary elections, the CPN-UML party has named its head KP Sharma Oli as the next Prime Minister of Nepal.
- In December 2017, the Left Alliance of CPN-UML party and CPN-Maoist Centre obtained 174 seats in the 275-member Parliament.
10) Cristiano Ronaldo becomes first player in Champions League history to score 100 goals for one club
- On 14th February 2018, Cristiano Ronaldo become the first player in history to score 100 Champions League goals for the same club.
- Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 100th and 101st Champions League goals for Real Madrid against PSG (Paris Saint-Germain) at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in Spain. It was his 116th goal in total.
- He is followed by Lionel Messi who has scored 97 goals for Barcelona club and Raul who has scored 66 goals for Real Madrid club.
11) Longest-serving Dutch Prime Minister Ruud Lubbers dies at 78
- On 14th February 2018, Ruud Lubbers, the longest-serving prime minister of Netherlands passed away in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- Ruud Lubbers was 78 years old. He had been ill for some time. He was born on 7th May 1939 in Rotterdam.
- He served as economics minister from 1973 to 1977. He served as Prime Minister of the Netherlands from 1982 to 1994. He also served as United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees from 2001 to 2005.