1) India-Russia Agriculture Business Summit held in New Delhi
- On 13th February 2018, India-Russia Agriculture Business Summit was held in New Delhi.
- India-Russia Agriculture Business Summit was organized by the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare.
- Gajender Singh Shekhawat, Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Sergey Beletskiy, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Agriculture, Russia, spoke at the summit.
- Heads of various business associations in agriculture sector of India and Russia attended the summit. This summit would strengthen business ties between India and Russia.
2) Uttar Pradesh launches DASTAK campaign to eradicate Japanese Encephalitis
- On 5th February 2018, Uttar Pradesh government in collaboration with UNICEF launched “Dastak Campaign against Japanese Encephalitis (JE) and Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES)”.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inauguratred the “Dastak Campaign against Japanese Encephalitis (JE) and Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES)”. Also, he released a CD, sanitary kit and publicity material during the inauguration.
- Yogi Adityanath said that, the encephalitis affects children up to 15 years old. He said that 38 districts of Uttar Pradesh are affected with AES and JE.
- He said that, in order to control encephalitis, health department has been made the nodal agency. Departments such as urban development, Panchayati Raj, Women and Child Welfare, Rural Development, Medical Education, Animal Husbandry and basic education departments will work under the health department.
3) R.K. Singh inaugurates International Conference on Operations and Maintenance held in New Delhi
Union Minister of State (IC) for Power and New and Renewable Energy, Shri R.K. Singh inaugurated the ‘Indian Power Stations 2018’ in New Delhi. It is the three-day International Conference on Operations and Maintenance.
The Minister exhorted the NTPC to become India’s power sector multinational by setting up power plants in other Nations and become world’s largest power producer. The Minister stated that neighbouring countries like Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Nepal and Bangladesh are viable markets for export of power, where per unit cost of electricity is very high.
4) 12th International Conference On CSR Held In Bengaluru
The Institute Of Directors organised it’s 12th International Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
In the conference, the Prestigious Golden Peacock Award 2017 were presented. The leadership award for philanthropy and social change was presented to Mr. Vineet Nayar, Founder Chairman, Sampark Foundation.
5) Nitin Gadkari releases India’s first ever Highway Capacity Manual
- On February 12, 2018, Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkarireleased India’s first ever Highway Capacity Manual (HCM) which will guide road engineers and policy makers about road expansion.
- This manual is known as ‘Indo-HCM’ and has been developed by CSIR-Central Road Research Institute (CRRI).
- CRRI was established in 1952 and is a constituent laboratory of India’s Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.
- The manual has been developed on the basis of an extensive, country-wide study of the traffic characteristics on different categories of roads like single lane, two-lane, multi-lane urban roads, inter- urban highways and expressways.
6) 6th World Government Summit (WGS-2018) held in Dubai
- 6th edition of World Government Summit (WGS) 2018 was held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE) from 11th – 13th February, 2018.
- World Government Summit is a platform through which, prominent leaders from the public and private sectors, international thought leaders and pioneers engage in an inspirational, thought-provoking and future-focused dialogues, aimed to shape the future of governments and help improve the lives of citizens across the world.
- This summit was attended by over 4000 participants from 140 countries, including heads of governments and representatives of 16 international organisations.
7) 8.4% Growth In Foreign Tourist Arrivals In One Year
Ministry of Tourism compiles monthly estimates of Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) & FTAs on e- Tourist Visaon the basis of Nationality-wise, Port-wise data received from Bureau of Immigration (BOI).
- The growth rate in FTAs in January 2018 over January 2017 was 8.4%. During the month of January 2018, a total of 2.40 lakh foreign tourists arrived on e-Tourist Visa as compared to 1.52 lakh during the month of January 2017 registering a growth of 58.5%.
The percentage share of top 3 source countries availing e- Tourist Visa facilities-
- UK (18.6%),
- USA (10.6%),
- Russian Fed (6.5%)
The percentage share of top 3 ports in foreign tourist arrivals on e-Tourist Visa-
- New Delhi Airport (37.3%),
- Mumbai Airport (19.6%),
- Dabolim (Goa) Airport (12.4%)
8) Bank of Baroda to exit South Africa by March-end
- On February 12, 2018, Bank of Baroda, an Indian public sector bank, announced that will shut down its operation in South Africa.
- BoB has been operating in South Africa since past 21 years. As per the official announcement, BoB will stop taking new/incremental deposits and disbursing loans in South Africa with effect from March 1, 2018 and will cease to operate and conduct the business of a bank with effect from March 31, 2018.
- Earlier, BoB had stated that South African Reserve Bank is investigating allegations regarding compliance lapses in Bank’s South African Operations.
9) World’s 1st Autonomous Pods Unveiled In Dubai
Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) launched the first tests of the world’s first autonomous pods at the World Government Summit. The autonomous pods are launched in cooperation with Next Future Transportation (US-Based) and are designed to travel short and medium distances in dedicated lanes.
They can be coupled together in as little 15 seconds or detached depending on the riders’ destination in five seconds. Each pod is fitted with cameras and electromechanical technologies to carry out the coupling and detaching, which can be activated while the pod is in motion.
10) Chandrashekhar Kambar elected as President of Sahitya Akademi
- On 9th February 2018, Chandrashekhara Kambar was elected as the president of Sahitya Akademi.
- Chandrashekhar Kambar is a Kannada writer. He has also received the Jnanpith award. Madhav Koushik, a Hindi poet, has been elected as the vice-president of Sahitya Akademi.
- Chandrashekhar Kambar has become the third Kannada writer to be the President of Sahitya Akademi.
- He obtained 56 out of 89 votes and surpassed his competitors Odiya writer Prathibha Ray and Marathi writer Bhalachandra Nemade.
- Chandrashekhar Kambar was the former vice president of Sahitya Akademi. He was also the first vice-chancellor of Kannada University in Hampi.
11) World Radio Day- 13 February
World Radio Day is observed annually on 13 February. The theme for WRD 2018 is “Radio and Sports”. The Day is organised globally by the UNESCO.
The objectives of the Day is mainly to raise greater awareness among the public and the media of the importance of radio and to encourage decision makers to establish and provide access to information through radio.
You must be logged in to post a comment