1) PM Modi 3 Nation Visit- PM Modi Meets CEOs At India-Oman Business Meet
On the last day of PM Modi’s 3 Nation visit, he addressed business leaders at the ‘India-Oman Business Meet’,organised by Ministry of Commerce and Industry of Oman, in association with Embassy of India in Muscat.
This forum aims at uplifting Omani and Indian entrepreneurs to conduct successful businesses with the other. PM Modi also met with Omani CEOs and share possibilities of greater investment in India.
2) 12th International Conference on corporate social responsibility held in Bengaluru
- 12th International Conference on corporate social responsibility (CSR) was held on 9th and 10thFebruary, 2018 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- This conference was organised by Institute Of Directors (IOD), an association of company directors, committed to improving the competitiveness of businesses through development of its leadership.
- The event was inaugurated by T. M. Vijay Bhaskar, IAS, Additional Chief Secretary, Government of Karnataka.
- Several dignitaries comprising senior government officials and corporate heads addressed the conference.
3) Delhi government, MoEF jointly launch ‘Clean Air Campaign’
- On 10th February 2018, Delhi government and the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) together launched the ‘Clean Air Campaign’ for Delhi.
- The ‘Clean Air Campaign’ campaign will be carried out for two weeks till 23rd February 2018. This campaign will focus on improvement of air quality in Delhi. 70 teams have been formed as a part of the campaign.
- The teams consist of one senior officer from MoEF&CC and one official from Delhi government as co-leaders.
- Also, one member from CPCB (Central Pollution Control Board), one from Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) and one from concerned Municipal Corporation will also be present in the teams.
4) Gevora, the world’s tallest hotel, opens in Dubai
- Gevora, world’s new tallest hotel opened on February 11, 2018 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Height of 75-storey Gevora Hotel is 356 metres. It has been built by Majid Al Attar.
- Gevora Hotel has 528 guest rooms – 232 Deluxe Rooms, 265 one-bed room deluxe and 31 two-bedroom suites.
- It also has a pool, Jacuzzi, health club, luxury spa and restaurants serving international and local cuisines.
- It is to be noted that, the Burj Khalifa, world’s tallest building (828 metres) is also located in Dubai.
5) India ranks second in global phosphorus pollution by human activity
- As per a report published in Water Resources Research, Phosphorus levels in freshwater bodies across the world are escalating and this could pose a serious threat to the ecosystem.
- The report outlined that globally, on account of human activities, about 1.5 teragrams of phosphorus (one teragram is equal to one billion kilograms) was dumped into the freshwater systems every year.
- Breaking it down by country, China contributed the most with 30%, followed by India (8%), the USA (7%) and Spain and Brazil (6% each).
- The researchers also assessed the phosphorus-related water pollution levels in 20 river basins across the world. In the assessment, Huang He river basin of China was found to be having highest phosphorus-related water pollution. Ganges basin (in India) ranked fourth in this list.
6) India’s forest, tree cover up by 1 % in 2 years: ISFR 2017
- As per India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2017 released by Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan on February 12, 2018, tree and forest cover in India increased by 8021 sq km (by 1%) in two years since 2015.
- As per ISFR 2017, total forest cover in India is 708273 sq km, which is 21.54 per cent of the total geographical area.
- In terms of area, Madhya Pradesh (77414 sq km) has the largest forest cover among all Indian states and Union Territories.
7) Stevan Smith wins Australia’s Border Medal
- On 12th February 2018, Steve Smith, Australia cricket captain, won his second Allan Border Medal in Melbourne, Australia.
- Stevan Smith won 246 votes, surpassing David Warner who obtained 162 votes and Nathan Lyon who scored 156 votes.
- He had already won the Australia Border Medal in 2015. Other Australian cricketers who had won Australia’s Border medal are: Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Shane Watson and David Warner.
- Ellyse Perry won the Belinda Clark Award for the second time that makes her the best female cricketer of Australia in the past 12 months. She had earlier won the award in 2016.
8) Sharmila Nicollet, 1st Indian Golfer To Qualify For China LPGA Tour
Sharmila Nicollet has become the first Indian golfer to qualify for the China Ladies PGA Tour. The 26-year-old Bengaluru golfer fought her way back into the tournament in the last two rounds to earn a card for the Tour.
Sharmila, who played on the Ladies European Tour before losing her full card, played her three rounds in the CLPGA Tour Qualifying School to finish in tied 21st and pick one of the 30 cards available in the 88-player field.
9) Kishan Gangolli Wins 13th Edition Of National Chess Championship For Blind
Defending champion Karnataka’s Kishan Gangolli won the 13th edition of the National ‘A’ Chess Championship for the blind in Mumbai. The championship was organised by All India Chess Federation for the Blind (AICFB).
At the end of the 13th round, Asian Championship winner, Gangolli became the champion for the fifth consecutive time with 10.5 points. Gujarat’s Ashvin Makwana stood second with 9.5 points, Soundarya Kumar Pradhan of Orissa with 9 points came third.
10) Golden Globe Award Winner Musician Johann Johannsson Passes Away
Acclaimed Icelandic musician and Oscar-nominated composer Johann Johannsson has passed away aged 48.
In 2014, he was nominated for BAFTA, Grammy and Oscar awards for his score for ‘Theory of Everything,’and won the Golden Globe award, making him one of the most well-known composers Iceland has produced.
You must be logged in to post a comment