1) Integrated Automatic Aviation Meteorological Systems inaugurated at INS Garuda
- On February 9, 2018, ‘Integrated Automatic Aviation Meteorological System (IAAMS)’ was inaugurated at INS Garuda, a naval air station located in Kochi, Kerala.
- INS Garuda has become the fourth Naval Air Station to be the part of this integrated system. IAAMS is Indian Navy’s project aimed at modernising the Meteorological infrastructure of the nine Naval Air Stations.
- IAAMS comprises state of the art Meteorological Sensors viz., Transmissometer, Radar Vertical Wind Profiler, Ceilometer and Automatic Weather Observation System which automatically records relevant weather parameters (that are vital for accurate weather forecasting) on continuous basis.
2) J P Nadda launches National Deworming initiative
- On February 10, 2018, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, J P Nadda launched National Deworming Day.
- Since 2015, National Deworming Day is held on 10 February and 10 August to treat intestinal worm infections in all children aged 1- 19 years.
- This mass deworming programme is implemented by reaching out to children at schools and anganwadis and administering Albendazole tablets.
- NDD mobilizes health personnel, state governments and other stakeholders to focus on controlling Soil Transmitted Helminth (STH) infections, which is one of the most common infections.
3) PM Modi 3 Nation Visit- Modi Conferred ‘Grand Collar Of The State Of Palestine’
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was conferred the ‘Grand Collar of the State of Palestine’ by President of Palestine Mahmoud Abbas, recognising his key contribution to promote relations between India and Palestine.
President Abbas conferred the honour after the conclusion of the bilateral meeting between the two leaders. Modi is the first Indian Prime Minister to make an official visit to Palestine. The Grand Collar is Highest order given to foreign dignitaries – Kings, Heads of State/Government and persons of similar rank.
4) PM Modi 3 Nation Visit- India, Oman Sign 8 MoUs
India and Oman have signed eight MoUs in different areas during PM Narendra Modi’s maiden visit to the Gulf nation. The fields in which the agreements were inked include defence, health and tourism.
An MoU on legal and judicial co-operation in civil and commercial matters was also signed. The agreements were inked after Mr Modi held delegation-level talks with the Sultan of Oman, Qaboos bin Said al Said in Muscat.
5) India Health Fund to boost research on TB, malaria
- India Health Fund (launched by Tata Trusts in association with The Global Fund) will financially support innovations and technologies aimed at combating tuberculosis and malaria.
- Indian Health Fund (IHF) will be supporting individuals and organisation that are already involved in developing new products and strategies that impact the entire lifecycle (from prevention to post-cure recovery) of TB and Malaria. IHF’s role will be to make such solutions sustainable and scalable.
- It has invited project proposals in four areas of research viz. use of technology and data science to strengthen surveillance of TB and malaria, promotion of robust molecular diagnostic facilities, innovations on effective communication strategies to be adopted for preventing transmission of TB and malaria and research on innovative approaches to vector surveillance.
6) Government sanctions Rs 1487 crore to Army to boost perimeter security
- Union Defence Ministry has sanctioned Rs 1487 crore to Indian Army to fortify its bases in Jammu and Kashmir, North East and several other sensitive places.
- The funds will be used to plug security gaps at the bases and thereby building protection against any terror attacks.
- This project for strengthening perimeter security at army bases was cleared by Union Defence Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman.
- A deadline of 10 months has been set to carry out this project and Army headquarters has been directed to monitor the implementation.
- In recent years, there have been several terrorist attacks targeting military installations. After the attack on the Pathankot air force base in 2016, committee headed by Lt Gen Philip Campose had recommended carrying out security audit of military bases.
7) NPCI Appoints Biswamohan Mahapatra As Non-Executive Chairman
8) India Retains Top Spot As Source Market For Dubai In 2017
Dubai witnessed 15% growth in tourist arrivals from India in 2017, hosting 2.1 million visitors, retaining top spot as the source market. It also became the first country to cross the 2 million mark in a single year, according to the latest data published by Dubai’s Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (Dubai Tourism).
The growth is mainly due to the success of Dubai Tourism’s ongoing collaboration with Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan in the ‘BeMyGuest’ campaign.
9) Mumbai 12th Richest City Globally, New York Tops The List: Report By New World Wealth
- New World Wealth is a global market research group, based in Johannesburg, South Africa. It specializes in ratings, surveys, country reports and wealth statistics.
- In context of this report, total wealth, refers to the private wealth held by all the individuals living in each city. Government funds are not included in total wealth.
- Private Wealth includes assets (property, equities, cash, and business stakes) less any liabilities.
- Although Mumbai is ranked 12th in terms of total wealth, in terms of billionaire population it featured among the top 10 cities. Mumbai is home to 28 billionaires (individuals with USD 1 billion or more in net assets).
- Mumbai is regarded as the economic hub of India. It is also home to the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), the 12th largest stock exchange in the world.
- The report has outlined that Mumbai is expected to be the fastest growing city (in terms of wealth growth) over the next 10 years.
10) RBI to get another liquidity management tool in standing deposit scheme
- In Union Budget 2018, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had proposed to amend the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Act to empower RBI for adopting an additional instrument for liquidity management.
- The additional instrument that is being referred to is the ‘Standing Deposit Facility (SDF) Scheme’, which was first suggested by Urjit Patel Committee in January 2014 as an additional instrument to be used by RBI for absorption of surplus liquidity from the system, without the need for providing collateral in exchange.
- As per the current provision, RBI is required to provide a collateral while absorbing surplus liquidity from the system. This norm becomes a constraint during special situations such as post-demonetisation phase where RBI had ran out of securities owing to unprecedented flows entering the system.
11) China puts J-20 stealth fighter into combat service
- China’s new generation J-20 stealth fighters have been commissioned into air force combat service.
- Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force has announced that the J-20 has been commissioned into combat units. J-20 is the fourth generation medium and long-range fighter jet of China.
- Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force said that, the J-20 will help to increase the air force’s combat capabilities and to defend the country.
- J-20 entered service in 2017. It was displayed to the public for the first time in 2016 at the Zhuhai airshow.
12) Sharmila Nicollet first Indian golfer to qualify for China LPGA Tour
- Sharmila Nicollet has become the first Indian golfer to qualify for the China Ladies PGA Tour.
- Sharmila Nicollet is 26 years old. She hails from Bengaluru.
- In the CLPGA Tour Qualifying School, she played three rounds in 77-73-72 and completed in tied 21st. She has qualified for the China Ladies PGA Tour.
- The performance in the China LPGA Tour will earn players the Women’s World Golf Rankings points.
13) Pakistan’s iron lady Asma Jehangir passes away
- On 11th February 2018, Asma Jehangir, Pakistan’s reputed lawyer and human rights activist, died following a cardiac arrest in Lahore, Pakistan.
- Asma Jehangir was known as Pakistan’s Iron Lady. She was the head of Human Rights Commission of Pakistan.
- She was also the chairperson of the Supreme Court Bar Association. She was a UN Rapporteur in the 1990s.
You must be logged in to post a comment