1) 7th India Energy Congress begins in New Delhi
- 7th India Energy Congress focusing on the theme ‘Energy 4.0: Energy Transition Towards 2030’ begun in New Delhi on February 1, 2018.
- India Energy Congress is the flagship event of World Energy Council India (WEC India), which functions under the Union Power Ministry.
- 7th India Energy Congress has been jointly organised by Union Ministries of Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy, Petroleum & Natural Gas, External Affairs and Department of Atomic Energy.
- On February 1, 2018, Power and New & Renewable Energy Minister addressed the inaugural session of 7th India Energy Congress.
2) India Joins Ashgabat Agreement
India has joined Ashgabat Agreement on the establishment of an International Transport and Transit Corridor between the Iran, Oman, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. The agreement was signed in 2011, which envisages facilitation of transit and transportation of goods between Central Asia and the Persian Gulf.
According to the External Affairs Ministry, the accession to the Agreement would diversify India’s connectivity options with Central Asia and have a positive influence on its trade and commercial ties with the region.
3) Home Ministry allots Rs. 370 crore to strengthen border infrastructure
- Union Home Ministry has sanctioned nearly Rs. 370 crore to Border Security Force (BSF) and the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) to strengthen border infrastructure along Indo-Pak and Indo-China border.
- BSF will use the funds primarily for construction of bunkers and fortifying its border out posts along Indo-Pak border.
- ITBP will use the amount for construction of climate-controlled huts and procurement of snow scooter.
- It is to be noted that BSF is India’s first line of Defense along the 2526.86-km-long Indo-Pak border (including 237.2 km of the Line of Control) and 4096.7 km of the Indo-Bangladesh border.
4) Centre sanctions Rs 1500 cr for organic farming in Uttarakhand
- Central Government has sanctioned Rs 1500 crore to promote organic farming in Uttarakhand.
- The amount was sanctioned by Union Agriculture Minister, Radha Mohan Singh during his meeting with Uttarakhand Chief Minister, Trivendra Singh Rawat in New Delhi on January 30, 2018. The amount of Rs. 1500 crore will be disbursed over a period of three years.
- This decision is to manifest Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision to develop Uttarakhand as an organic state.
5) Indian Railways to set up Coach Factory in Maharashtra
- Railways Minister Piyush Goyal said that, a coach factory will be set up by the Indian Railways in Latur district, Maharashtra.
- Decision regarding this was taken at a meeting between Piyush Goyal and Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
- This coach factory will produce Electric Multiple Units (EMUs) for suburbantrains and coaches for metro trains.
- Work regarding this project will be carried out with high priority and all approvals will be done in a fast track pace. The Maharashtra government has provided concessions in land, taxes, etc. for this project.
6) Rwanda becomes first poor country to provide eye care for all
- Rwanda has become the first low-income country in the world to provide universal eye care for its 12 million citizens.
- Rwanda government has partnered with Vision for a Nation (VFAN), a UK-based charity organization, to train 3,000 eye care nurses in 502 local health centres.
- They would prescribe glasses to patients and direct them to national clinics in case of serious eye problems.
- The most common eye problem in Rwanda is short sightedness. Coffee bean sorting is one of the major means of income for Rwanda women. Their eye sight deteriorates as they reach 45 years, and hence their livelihood and means of income are affected.
7) India’s GDP growth fell to 7.1% in 2016-17 from 8.2% in 2015-16: CSO
- According to the CSO’s revised estimates of national income released on January 31, 2018, gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate for 2015-16 stood at 8.2% from the earlier estimates of 8% while for 2016-17, revised GDP growth remained unchanged at 7.1%.
- For 2015-16, this is the second revised estimate, while for 2016-17, this is the first revised estimate.
- Revised estimates are arrived at by taking into consideration a wider range of numbers, including employment data.
8) Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen appointed as Vice Chairman of USISPF Board
- Shantanu Narayen, CEO of Adobe, has been named the Vice Chairman of US-India Strategic and Partnership Forum (USISPF) Board.
- Shantanu Narayen is an Indian-American. USISPF was formed to improve trade ties between India and the US. Now the USISPF Board has 31 board members.
- Other members who have joined the USISPF Board recently are: Ajay Singh, chairman and managing director of Spice Jet Limited and John Kern, senior vice president of Supply Chain Operations at Cisco.
9) Indian Coast Guard (ICG) celebrates 41st Foundation Day
- On 1st February 2018, the Indian Coast Guard celebrated its 41st Foundation Day.
- The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) was established in 1978. It was started with only 7 ships. It was formed to enforce National Laws in the Indian waters and safeguard life and property at sea.
- They help and protect Indian fishermen. They also investigate foreign fishermen entering Indian water
You must be logged in to post a comment