1) CARA launches monthly ‘Jan Sampark’ Program to facilitate adoption
- On 27th September 2017, the Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) started a monthly ‘Jan Sampark’ program to enable the public to obtain information related to Adoption, in New Delhi.
- i. This programme is the first of its kind, regarding adoption. Around 150 Prospective Adoptive Parents (PAPs), Adoptive Parents and representatives of agencies participated in the session.
- Details regarding Immediate Placement and Special Needs Adoption Module of Child Adoption Resource Information & Guidance System (CARINGS) and the newly launched Grievance/Query portal were shared with the participants.
2) Madhya Pradesh Bags ‘Best Tourism State’ Award
Madhya Pradesh has won the ‘Best Tourism State’ national award for the third consecutive year. President Ram Nath Kovind handed over the award, named as ‘Hall of Fame Award’, to Minister of State for Tourism Surendra Patwa at a ceremony held at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
The state bagged total 10 awards in this programme, organised on the occasion of World Tourism Day (27 September). Madhya Pradesh also received a national award for Film Promotion Policy in the category of Best Film Promotion Friendly State/Union Territory.
3) ADB approves USD 80 mn loan for modernisation of TVET in Himachal Pradesh
Multilateral lending agency Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a loan of $80 million (about Rs 524 crore) for the modernization of Himachal Pradesh’s technical and vocational education and training (TVET) institutions.
The total cost of the project is $100 million, with the Centre contributing $20 million. The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2022.
4) MoU Signed Between BSNL and ZTE
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Chinese gear maker ZTE.
Both the parties will work together and prove key technologies like Pre5G and 5G wireless systems to make a virtual network architecture of a 5G ecosystem for research and commercialization in India.
5) Rajiv Sabharwal to Take Charge as Tata Capital CEO
Tata Capital announced the appointment of Rajiv Sabharwal as Managing Director & CEO designate of the company. Sabharwal will be joining Tata Capital in January 2018 and would be taking over from the company’s current Managing Director & CEO Praveen P Kadle.
Mr Kandle will be assuming other responsibilities in the Tata Group effective April 1, 2018. Sabharwal is currently a partner at True North Managers LLP, formerly India Value Fund Advisors. He was an Executive Director on ICICI Bank’s board before joining True North.
6) Air India Ties up with PNB, IndusInd
Air India has tied up with public sector lender PNB and private lender IndusInd Bank to secure loans to the tune of over Rs 3,000 crore for meeting working capital requirements.
Recently, the disinvestment-bound Air India had floated tenders for availing Govt. guarantee backed INR short-term loans totalling up to Rs 3,250 crore in the first phase to meet its urgent working capital.
7) IDBI Bank sells 9 % stake in SIDBI
- On 27th September 2017, IDBI Bank said that it has sold 9 % stake in Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI).
- The amount for which the 9 % stake was sold is undisclosed.Name of the buyer has also not been disclosed.This has been done in a move to mobilise funds by exiting non-core business. IDBI has planned to reduce stake in some non-core businesses to increase its capital base.
8) India Jumps to 14th Rank as Best Country for Expats: HSBC Survey
India leapt up the global rankings by 12 places to take the 14th spot in terms of best country for expats to live and work in, according to the HSBC survey. The list has been topped by Singapore.
The list is part of HSBC’s latest ‘expat explorer survey’ that covered 27,587 expats from 159 countries and territories in March and April 2017. According to the survey, about 71 percent expats in India reported high levels of confidence in the local economy, while 58 percent exuded optimism on political stability.
9) International Day for Universal Access to Information Observed Globally
The International Day for Universal Access to Information (IDUAI) was observed globally on 28 September 2017. The celebrations and events for the Day are organised by UNESCO.
The year 2017 marks the second year observation of 28 September as the International Day for Universal Access to Information. From 27 to 30 September 2017, UNESCO hosted a Conference under the theme “Overcoming Divides and Achieving the SDGs in Africa” in Balaclava, Mauritius.
10) Russia, US Partner to Build 1st Ever Space Station Near Moon
Russian and US space agencies, Roscosmos and NASA, have agreed to jointly build a “deep space gateway”, thefirst-ever astronaut-tended space station around the Moon.
The gateway would help prepare for manned missions to deep space destinations including Mars. NASA and Roscosmos are two of the major partners in the $100-billion Earth-orbiting International Space Station (ISS). Following in the footsteps of the International Space Station, the moon ship would be open to astronauts and cosmonauts from around the world.
11) Mridul Kumar appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Malaysia
- Shri Mridul Kumar an IFS of 1992 batch presently Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs has beenappointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Malaysia.
- About Malaysia
Capital: Kuala Lumpur
PM: Najib Razak