1) International Dam Safety Conference Held In Thiruvananthapuram
- International Dam Safety Conference – 2018 begun at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala on 23rd January 2018. Dam safety conferences are organized every year under the Dam Safety Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP).
- This two-day conference was inaugurated by Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan while Arjun Ram Meghwal, Union Minister of State for of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation presided over the inaugural function.
- International Dam Safety Conference – 2018 is being organised by Central Water Commission in association with Kerala Water Resources Department (KWRD), National Institute of Technology – Calicut, Kerala State Electricity Board and College of Engineering, Trivandrum.
- Nearly 550 delegates from over 20 countries including leading dam safety specialists and seismic experts are participating in this conference.
2) India 5th Most Attractive Market For Investments
- India has been adjudged as the 5th most attractive market for investments in a survey of CEOs conducted by consulting firm Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC).
- Interestingly India ranked above Japan which received 8 per cent share.
- PwC has stated that foreign direct investment (FDI) in India surged 17 per cent to over $25 billion during the first half of FY 2017-18. This surge can largely be attributed to opening up of several key sectors over the last few years.
- However it outlined that private investment in India has remained muted due to excess capacity and high financial stress.
3) World Economic Forum Summit in Switzerland Concludes
Prime Minister Narendra Modi returned home after concluding his visit to Davos, Switzerland. During the visit, the Prime Minister delivered a keynote address at the plenary session of the 48th annual meeting of World Economic Forum. He became the first Indian prime minister in two decades to join the world’s top business leaders in the Swiss resort town of Davos.
- Mr Modi outlined climate change, terrorism and protectionism as three global threats. He also met his Canadian counterpart, Justin Trudeau. Both leaders discussed issues of mutual interest and reiterated their commitment to stand firm in combating terrorism. The Prime Minister also held a meeting with Queen Maxima of the Netherlands and discussed steps to deepen the bilateral relationship. At the end, Mr Modi interacted with top global CEOs at the International Business Council event.
4) Arunachal Pradesh CM inaugurates World War II Memorial Museum in Changlang
- On January 21, 2018, Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu inaugurated the World War II Memorial Museum in state’s Changlang district.
- World War II Memorial Museum in Changlang has been built by the Union Culture Ministry at a cost of Rs 2.25 crore.
- It has been built in memory of those who laid down their lives in World War II.
- Remnants of the war, personal belongings of the soldiers and other persons involved have been preserved at this museum. Traditional items from indigenous Tangsa community have also been displayed at the museum.
5) AYUSH Minister Lays Foundation Stone for Homeopathy Research Institute in Jaipur
The Minister of State (IC), for AYUSH, Shri Shripad Yesso Naik laid the foundation stone for Central Research Institute (CRI) in Jaipur, Rajasthan. This will be the third CRI under the aegis of Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy (CCRH).
In his address during the stone laying ceremony, Sh. Naik stated that Ministry of AYUSH is determined towards a focused infrastructural push to Homoeopathy and other systems of AYUSH.
6) Manipur CM N Biren Singh launches health assurance scheme for poor & disabled people
- On January 21, 2018, Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh launched the Chief Minister-gi Hakshelgi Tengbang (CMHT), a health assurance scheme for the poor and disabled people.
- Under this scheme, poor people of Manipur will be provided cashless treatment at government hospitals, health centres and other empanelled selected private hospitals.
- All eligible families, identified from the Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC), will be provided Rs. lakh cover for treatment of seven critical identified critical ailments viz. cardiovascular diseases, neurological conditions, kidney ailments, liver ailments, neo-natal diseases, cancer and burns.
7) Shah Rukh Khan Honoured with Crystal Award at World Economic Forum
Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan was honoured with the 24th Crystal Award at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
According to the WEF, Shah Rukh Khan received Award for “his leadership in championing children’s and women’s rights in India”. Shahrukh received the award alongside Elton John and Hollywood actress Cate Blanchett.
8) FICCI Appoints Dilip Chenoy as Director General
Industry Chamber Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) has appointed Dilip Chenoy as its Director General.
Prior to this, he was Chairman of Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology and Member, Board of Advisors, IILM. He was awarded the Game Changer Award in 2015 and the Rashtriya Media Ratan Award in 2013.
9) Andhra Pradesh-Zurich Sign Sister State Agreement
The Andhra Pradesh Government and the Canton of Zurich signed a letter of intent, to promote mutual prosperity and development. The agreement was signed in the presence of Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh N Chandrababu Naidu and Government Counselor Minister Carmen Walker Spah for sister state relation.
- This will bring the State of Andhra Pradesh and Canton of Zurich closer and ensure that a framework is created, which supports the exchange between both the parties.
10) 10th Global Forum for Food and Agriculture (GFFA) held in Berlin
- On 18th to 20th January 2018, the 10th Global Forum for Food and Agriculture (GFFA) was held in Berlin, Germany.
- he theme of the 10th Global Forum for Food and Agriculture was “Shaping the Future of Livestock – sustainably, responsibly, efficiently”.
- The GFFA focuses on issues related to the future of global agri-food industry. It had participation from 69 agricultural ministers and heads of 6 international organisations such as FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization), WTO (World Trade Organization) and World Organisation for Animal Health.
11) India to become fastest growing large economy in 2018
- According to Sanctum Wealth Management report, India will overtake China to be the fastest growing large economy in 2018.
- Rationale cited by Sanctum Wealth Management for this forecast is that “India is a reforming economy with the prospects of strong long-term growth”.
- In the current global scenario where developed economies are posting 2-3% growth, Indian economy is on the track to cross the 7.5% growth mark.
12) India, 5th Most Attractive Market for Investments: PwC Survey
India has emerged as the fifth most attractive market for investments and the optimism over global economic growth is at a record level, as per the survey of CEOs by global consultancy PwC.
The US remains the top spot for global investment. Around 46% of global CEOs consider the US as one of the three most important countries for growth, followed by China (33%) and Germany (20%) at second and third places, respectively. India (9%) bumps Japan (8%) as the fifth most attractive market in 2018.
13) West Indies to Host 2018 Women’s World T20
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced, the 2018 edition of the Women’s World T20 will be hosted by West Indies in November 2018. Hosts Windies will defend the title they won over Australia in Kolkata in 2016.
The three venues were selected by Cricket West Indies through a bidding process and have been ratified by the ICC. The November event in the Caribbean will be the first stand-alone ICC Women’s World Twenty20 after the past five events were played alongside the men’s event.
14) Hugh Masekela, ‘Father of South African Jazz’ Passes Away
Trumpeter, composer and singer Hugh Masekela, affectionately known as the ‘father of South African jazz’, has died after a long battle with prostate cancer. He was 78.
In a career spanning more than five decades, Masekela gained international recognition with his distinctive Afro-Jazz sound. He opened the 2010 FIFA World Cup Kick-Off Concert and performed at the event’s opening ceremony in Johannesburg’s Soccer City stadium.