INS Kolkata and INS Shakti arrives in China to participate in IFR
The Indian Navy ships Kolkata and Shakti arrived at Qingdao in China to participate in the International Fleet Review (IFR) as a part of the 70th anniversary celebrations of People Liberation’s Army (PLA-Navy).
- IFR is a parade of naval ships, aircraft and submarines that is organised by nations to promote goodwill, strengthen cooperation and showcase their organisational capabilities.
Navy chief launches new guided missile destroyer ‘INS Imphal’
Navy chief Admiral Sunil Lanba launched the third ship of Project 15B, a guided missile destroyer Imphal, at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders, Mumbai. The launch marks yet another significant milestone in the annals of the indigenous warship design and construction programme of India.
- Project 15B ships feature cutting edge advanced technology and are comparable to the best ships of similar class anywhere in the world. These ships have been designed indigenously by the Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design.
Bhopal gas tragedy among world’s major industrial accidents of 20th century: UN
The 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy which killed thousands of people is among the world’s “major industrial accidents” of the 20th century, a UN report has said, warning that 2.78 million workers die from occupational accidents and work-related diseases each year.
- The report titled ‘The Safety and Health at the Heart of the Future of Work – Building on 100 years of experience’ released by the the UN labour agency International Labour Organization (ILO) said the Bhopal disaster was among the world’s “major industrial accidents after 1919”.
- Useful info:
International Labour Organization Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
Scientists unearth 220-million-year-old dinosaurs fossils in San Juan province
A site containing the 220-million-year-old fossilised remains of nearly a dozen dinosaurs has been discovered in western Argentina. According to Martinez, of the University of San Juan, the fossils are approximately 220 million years old, belonging to “an era of which we know little”.
- This discovery is doubly important because there are at least seven or eight individuals of dicynodonts, the ancestors of mammals, the size of an ox.
Universe’s first molecule, formed 14 billion years ago, detected in space
Scientists have detected the most ancient type of molecule in our universe in space for the first time ever. Helium hydride ion (HeH+) was the first molecule that formed when, almost 14 billion years ago, falling temperatures in the young universe allowed recombination of the light elements produced in the Big Bang.
- At that time, ionised hydrogen and neutral helium atoms reacted to form HeH+, said researchers from The Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy (MPIfR) in Germany.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Tata Technologies joins hands with China’s FutureMove Automotive
Tata Technologies said it has inked a pact with China’s FutureMove Automotive to develop connected mobility solutions for automotive manufacturers in China and other markets. The companies signed a memorandum of understanding on the sidelines of the Shanghai Motor Show 2019.
- FutureMove Automotive, with its digital and mobility services, is a strategic partner to Tata Technologies’ customers in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and the US.
Mukesh Kumar elected Judo Union of Asia general secretary
Former Judo Federation of India chief Mukesh Kumar was re-elected as general secretary of the Asian governing body at its ordinary congress at Fujairah in the UAE.
- Incumbent Judo Federation of India President Partap Singh Bajwa was elected as Vice President of Judo Union of Asia as well as president of South Asia Judo Federation. Mukesh is also the Chairman of the Technical Conduct Committee of the 36th National Games allotted to Goa.
World Liver day
World liver day is observed every year on every 19 April, to spread awareness about liver related diseases. The liver is the second largest and the second most complex organ in the body, after the brain. The day is meant to raise awareness about liver and following a lifestyle which supports liver health.