1) Surajkund crafts mela begins, UP is the theme state for the first time
- 32nd Surajkund International Crafts Mela began on February 2, 2018 in Surajkund, Haryana. It was inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
- This event provides a platform for the artists and craftsmen from across the world to showcase their countries’ rich diversity, cuisine and traditions.
- It has been organised by the Surajkund Mela Authority in collaboration with Haryana tourism department, Haryana tourism corporation and Union Ministries of Tourism, Textile, Culture and External Affairs.
- For this year’s edition, Uttar Pradesh (UP) has been chosen as theme state and will showcase religious tourism circuit in UP, such as Ayodhya, Mathura, Kashi. It will also showcase UP’s art, culture, and heritage of UP.
2) UAE Launches World’s Longest Zip Line
- The United Arab Emirates has made a record by opening the world’s longest zip line, measuring 2.83 km in length. Guinness World Records officials certified the zip line in Ras al-Khaimah.
- The Jebel Jais Flight takes thrill-seekers atop the country’s largest mountain peak, from a launch pad 1,680 meters (5,512 feet) above sea level.
3) Cochin Shipyard Limited signs MoU with Russian firm for development of vessels
- Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC), Russia to collaborate and engage in Design, Development and Execution of contemporary, State-of-Art vessels for Inland and Coastal Waterways.
- The MoU was signed by Madhu S Nair – Chairman & Managing Director, Cochin Shipyard Limited and Mr Alexey Rakhmanov – President, United Shipbuilding Corporation, in the presence of Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources – Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi.
- Under the MoU both entities will collaborate for development of High-Speed Vessels, Passenger Vessels, River-Sea Cargo Vessels, Dredgers and other watercrafts for inland waterways and coastal shipping.
4) DoT to set up 5G development centre in tie-up with IIT Chennai
- On 1st February 2018, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, announced that, the Department of Telecom (DoT) in partnership with IIT, Chennai, will set up a development centre for 5G technologies.
- The development centre to be set up by Department of Telecom in collaboration with IIT, Chennai will work on the development of 5G technologies.
- 5G technology will help to provide applications like Internet of Things and Machine-to-Machine internet.
- A similar tie up had already been made between Ericsson and IIT Delhi. Under this tie up, a Center of Excellence for 5G will be established.
5) IOB Receives Rs173 Cr Capital Infusion From Government
6) Neelam Kapur Appointed DG Of Sports Authority Of India
7) Shabnam Asthana wins Times Power Woman 2017 award
- Dilip Kamble, Minister of State for Social Justice and Special Assistance in the Government of Maharashtra, presented the ‘Times Power Woman 2017′- Pune for Global PR award to Shabnam Asthana.
- The Times Group celebrated the Times Power Woman 2017 (Pune) awards recently to honour the achievements of women who have also been sources of inspiration.
- These awards were presented to the women of Pune. 34 women with power, supremacy, command and control were awarded.
8) 7th India Energy Congress Held In New Delhi
The 7th India Energy Congress was held in New Delhi. Over 400 experts are expected to brainstorm on energy transition across the globe in view of technology and digital disruptions. The theme of the 7th edition of India Energy Congress is ‘Energy 4.0: Energy Transition Towards 2030’.
The India Energy Congress is the flagship event of World Energy Council India (WEC India) and joint event of ministries of power, coal, new & renewable energy, petroleum & natural gas, external affairs and Department of Atomic Energy.
9) India Open Boxing: Mary Kom Clinches Gold, India Bag 10 Medals
The five-time World Champion MC Mary Kom claimed the gold medal in the India Open International Boxing tournament at Thyagraj Indoor Stadium in New Delhi. She defeated Josie Gabuco from the Philippines in a split 4-1 decision to grab the gold in the women’s 48kg weight category.
The 12th seeded boxer had earlier booked her place in the finals after defeating Mongolian Altansetseg Lutsaikhan in the semi-final clash. Pinki Rani also fetched gold for India after defeating Mongolia’s Jargalan Ochirbat in the final of fly (48-51 kg) category.
10) Alphabet names board veteran John Hennessy as chairman
- On 1st February 2018, John Hennessy was appointed as Chairman of Alphabet’s Board.
- John Hennessy succeeds Eric Schmidt. Eric Schmidt was Executive Chairman of Alphabet’s Board for a long time.
- John Hennessy is former president of Stanford University. He is 65 years old. He joined Google’s board in 2004.
- John Hennessy has held the post of lead independent director at Google and Alphabet since 2007.
11) Saurav Ghosal becomes the highest-ranked Indian squash player in PSA rankings
- India’s Saurav Ghosal with rank number 14 became the highest ranked Indian in the Professional Squash Association (PSA) rankings released on 2nd February 2018.
- Saurav Ghosal has moved 5 places up and obtained the 14th rank. He has surpassed Joshna Chinappa who is currently at 17th position.
- Dipika Pallikal is at rank 20. Harinder Pal Sandhu is at 49th position. Mahesh Mangaonkar ranks 64. Vikram Malhotra is ranked 68.
12) World Wetlands Day – February 2
- On 2nd February 2018, World Wetlands Day was observed all over the world.
- The theme for World Wetlands Day 2018 is: “Wetlands for a Sustainable Urban Future”.
- On 2nd February 2018 every year, the World Wetlands Day is celebrated. On the same day in 1971, the Convention on Wetlands was adopted in Ramsar, Iran.
- The Convention on Wetlands is an international treaty for the conservation and sustainable use of wetlands.