1) Uma Bharti launches 2nd project of Swajal Yojana in Rajasthan
- On February 27, 2018, Union Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Uma Bharti, launched the Swajal pilot project at Village Bhikampura, in Rajasthan.
- Swajal is a community owned drinking water programme for sustained drinking water supply. 90% of the project cost will be provided by Central Government while remaining 10% of the project cost will be contributed by the local community.
- Budget of Rs. 54.17 lakh has been allocated for Swajal Project at Bhikampura.
- Bhikhampura village faces scarcity of drinking water and villagers have to walk at least 3 km to collect it. Under the Swajal Project, four reservoirs will be constructed in the village and common tap connection will be given to all the households.
2) I&B Minister Smriti Irani Releases ‘India-2018’ Book
Information and Broadcasting Minister Smriti Irani released ‘India 2018′ (English Version) and ‘Bharat 2018′ (Hindi Version). The books are published by the Publications Division. The book available in both print and online versions.
- It is an exhaustive publication dealing with all aspects of the country’s development. With its latest edition, the book has entered into its 62nd year of publication.
3) Nitin Gadkari lays foundation stone for National Technology Centre for Ports, Waterways and Coasts (NTCPWC) at IIT Chennai
- On 26th February 2018, Nitin Gadkari, Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, laid the foundation stone for National Technology Centre for Ports, Waterways and Coasts (NTCPWC), at IIT Chennai.
- An MoU was signed between the Ministry of Shipping and IIT Chennai at the occasion.
- NTCPWC is set up under the Sagarmala programme of Ministry of Shipping. It will function as a technology arm of the Ministry of Shipping. NTCPWC will offer engineering and technological inputs and support for Ports, Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) and other institutions.
4) EPFO Introduces UAN- Aadhar Linking New Facility
Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has introduced UAN-Aadhaar linking facility for the convenience of members using EPFO Link in UMANG Mobile App.
- The facility on e-KYC Portal has further added a new feature to link UAN with Aadhaar online using biometric credentials.
5) King Of Jordan In India On 3-Day Visit’
The King of Jordan Abdullah-II bin Al-Hussein arrived in New Delhi on a 3-day visit to India. The King is accompanied by a business delegation. During his visit, he will also participate in a CEO Round-table followed by India-Jordan Business Forum.
AIR correspondent reports, the Jordanian King’s visit comes nearly three weeks after Prime Minister Narendra Modi travelled to Jordan as part of his trip to West Asia, including Palestine. The two sides are expected to sign MoUs and agreements in diverse areas of bilateral cooperation.
6) RBI raises currency derivative trade limit to USD 100 mn
- On February 26, 2018, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) raised the exposure limit under exchange traded currency derivatives (ETCD) for residents and foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) to USD 100 million across all currency pairs.
- As of now, four currency pairs, viz. USD/INR, EUR/INR (Euro), GBP/INR (Great British Pound) and JPY/INR (Japanese Yen) are traded on Indian exchanges.
- This instrument is primarily used by Indian exporters and importers and foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) to hedge their risk against currency price fluctuations.
- Earlier exposure limit set by RBI was USD 15 million for USD-INR contracts and USD 5 million for other currency pairs. Increasing exposure limit will help the participants to better manage their risk and will also improve the liquidity in the instrument.
7) India Ranks 47th On Inclusive Internet Index: Facebook
India has been ranked 47th out of 86 countries on the Inclusive Internet Index by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), which was commissioned by Facebook.
- Sweden took the first place, followed by Singapore and the US. The scores on the index, which covered 91% of the world’s population, is based on the scores of Availability, Affordability, Relevance and Readiness categories.
8) PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018- Important Highlights
PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018, officially known as the XXIII Olympic Winter Games were held inPyeongchang, South Korea. The motto of Winter Olympics 2018 was “Passion.Connected”. Soohorang, a white tiger, and Bandabi, an Asiatic black bear were the official mascots for this event.
- Czech Republic’s Ester Ledecka became the first woman to claim gold medals in two sports at a Winter Olympics after claiming her second one in a snowboarding event at the PyeongChang Winter Games.
- Fifteen-year-old Russian figure skater Alina Zagitova beat her teammate and two-time world champion Evgenia Medvedeva to win gold.
- Norwegian cross-country skier Marit Bjoergen became the most successful Winter Olympian in history after claiming her 14th medal. The 37-year-old, who has won seven gold, four silver and three bronze medals at Winter Olympics, overtook compatriot Ole Einar Bjoerndalen, who earned 13 medals.
- Norway’s Havard Lorentzen won the men’s 500-metre speed skating by a margin of just 0.01 seconds to set a Winter Olympics record.
- Yuzuru Hanyu won Japan’s first gold medal at PyeongChang Winter Olympics and also became the first figure skater in 66 years to win back-to-back Winter Olympic gold medals in the men’s singles event.
- Seventeen-year-old snowboarder Redmond Gerard won the first gold medal for the United States at Winter Olympics.
Top Tally- Top 3 Countries-1. Norway (Total 39, 14 Gold, 14 Silver, 11 Bronze).2. Germany (Total 31, 14 Gold, 10 Silver, 7 Bronze).3. Canada (Total 11, 8 Gold, 10 Silver, 29 Bronze).
9) Veteran CPI leader Prabodh Panda passes away
- On 27th February 2018, Prabodh Panda, former MP and State Secretary of West Bengal for Communist Party of India (CPI), died due to heart attack, at his residence in Kolkata.
- Prabodh Panda was 72 years old. He served as national President of the All India Kisan Sabha. He was a three-time MP from Midnapore. He was first elected to the Lok Sabha in 2001. Then he was re-elected in 2004 and 2009.