BOOKS & AUTHORS
World’s first women’s cricket magazine “CRICZONE” launched
The inaugural issue of world’s first exclusive women’s cricket magazine ‘Criczone‘ was released in Jaipur with Indian team vice-captain Smriti Mandhana featuring as the cover story.
- Top international cricketers like Mithali Raj, Harmanpreet Kaur, Smiriti Mandhana alomg with overseas players like Danielle Wyatt, Sophie Devine attended the event which is held on the sidelines of the inaugural women’s T20 challenge.
Sana Mir becomes highest wicket-taking spinner in ODI
Pakistan off-spinner Sana Mir has become the most successful women’s ODI spinner in history after she took her 147th wicket, highest ever by any spinner in One-day International (ODI) cricket.
- It was her 118th appearance for Pakistan and surpassed West Indies spinner Anisa Mohammed and Australia’s Lisa Sthalekar, who had accumulated 146 wickets each. Currently, Mir is placed on the third position in the ICC’s ODI bowling ranking, which is topped by Indian pacer Jhulan Goswami.
India’s Jehan scores big win at Spanish Grand Prix
India’s racing sensation Jehan Daruvala created history during the Spanish F1 Grand Prix, scoring a dramatic victory in the inaugural round of the all-new FIA Formula 3 Championship in Barcelona.
- Jehan began his career in karting at the age of 10. Since then he has won the Indian National Karting Championship, the Malaysian Junior Yamaha Karting Championship, the FIA CIK Asia Pacific KF3 Championship and the British Superone National Karting Championship.
Djokovic outsmarts Tsitsipas to clinch third Madrid title
Serbian tennis superstar Novak Djokovic defeated Greece’s Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-3, 6-4 in the Madrid Open final, claiming his third title at the clay-court event and 33rd ATP Masters 1000 crown.
- The world No. 1 took one hour and 32 minutes to defeat the rising Greek star, adding a third championship in the Spanish capital to the trophies he won in 2011 and 2016. At the end of his 250th week atop the ATP rankings, Djokovic managed to clinch his second title of the year.
Indian-American student wins ESPN Esports championship
A team from Georgia Institute of Technology, including an Indian-American student, has won “Hearthstone Collegiate Championship”, part of the first-ever ESPN Collegiate Esports Championship. Shiv Chopra along with two Georgia Tech teammates swept off Minnesota team 3-0 in the finals in Houston.
- Some 400 college teams from the US and Canada participated in the Hearthstone championship qualifiers starting in March this year.
Van Dijk wins Premier League Player of the Season award
Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk has been named Premier League Player of the Season. By doing so, he became the first defender to win the Player of the Season award in seven seasons, after Manchester City’s Vincent Kompany in 2011-12.
- However, the 27-year still has to wait to see whether his team will lift the Premier League trophy.
Actor Peggy Lipton passes away at 72
The Mod Squad actor Peggy Lipton passed away at the age of 72. Lipton was born in 1946, in the city of New York. Later, she began her acting career in 1965. She appeared in television shows such as Bewitched and The Magical World of Disney. However, she gained recognition for her extraordinary work in Mod Squad.
- The veteran actor won her first Golden Globe award in 1971 after getting nominated for four times.
Acting guru Roshan Taneja passes away
Roshan Taneja, who trained scores of Hindi film actors including the likes of Shabana Azmi, Naseeruddin Shah, Jaya Bachchan, Anil Kapoor and Shatrughan Sinha, has passed away. He was 87.
- Roshan Taneja, known to many as the ‘pioneer of method acting’ in India, is held in high regard in the Hindi film industry. He had been training talent since the 1960s, first at the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) in Pune and later at his private school in Mumbai, the Roshan Taneja School of Acting.
International Nurses Day 2019
International Nurses Day is observed on May 12 every year to honour the contributions made by nurses in the society. It is celebrated on birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing.
- Famous for being the ‘Lady with the Lamp’, Florence Nightingale’s far-sighted ideas and reforms have greatly influenced the modern healthcare and the Nurses Day honours her. International Nurse Day theme this year is “Nurses – A Voice to Lead – Health for All”. This year Nurses Day also coincides with Mother’s Day.