UNEP Report states that India & China tops a list of nations for illegal sand mining
India and China top a list of countries where illegal sand mining has become a major environmental problem, according to a report released by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). While we cannot do without sand, responsible mining should be incentivised, said the report, ‘Sand and Sustainability: finding new solutions for environmental governance of global sand resources’.
- Unsustainable sand mining was being fed by growth of construction work in China, followed by India, the report said.
- Useful info:
UNEP Headquarters: Nairobi, Kenya
Manchester City legend Yaya Toure retired from Football
Former Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure has announced his retirement from football, with a view to concentrating on a career in coaching. Toure joined Man City from Barcelona in 2010 and went on to make 316 appearances for the Citizens, scoring 79 goals and providing 50 assists on the way to winning three Premier League titles, three League Cups and one FA Cup.
- During his time at Barca, Toure made 118 appearances, collecting six goals and eight assists, winning five major honours including the Champions League, La Liga and the Copa del Rey.
Chennai Super Kings Become 2nd Team To Register 100 IPL Wins
Mumbai Indians beat Chennai Super Kings by 37 runs to become the first franchise to register 100 Indian Premier League wins. The Rohit Sharma-led side reached the feat in their 175th match which includes a win via Super Over and 75 losses.
- Fellow-three time champs Chennai Super Kings are the second most successful franchisewith 93 matches won from 152 played with 58 lost including one in the Super Over.
Mumbai Indians defeat Chennai Super Kings by 1 run to win unprecedented fourth IPL title
The summit clash of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2019 between Mumbai Indians (MI) and defending champions Chennai Super Kings (CSK) is being held at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Hyderabad.
- Lasith Malinga redeems himself as he dismisses Shardul Thakur on the last ball of the match and with that Mumbai beat Chennai by 1 run in the end.
Parveen Pardeshi Appointed As The New BMC Chief
Chief Miniter of Maharashtra Devendra Fadnavis has appointed Parveen Pardeshi as the new BMC chief. Praveen will replace Ajoy Mehta. Pardeshi was the additional chief secretary to Chief Minister Fadnavis. Pardeshi is a 1985-batch IAS officer who is one of the top bureaucrats in Fadnavis’ government.
- He has earlier served in various departments of the Indian Administrative services, including the Revenue Department and the Forest Department.
83-year old renowned singer, Yakshagana ‘bhagawatha’ Nebburu Narayana Hegde passes away
Yakshagana ‘bhagawatha’ (singer) Nebburu Narayana Hegde passed away at his residence at Nebburu in Sirsi taluk of Uttara Kannada. He was 83. He was popularly called Nebburu in the coastal belt particularly in the Badagu Thittu school of Yakshagana.
- He was a recipient of the Karnataka Rajyotsava Award, the Karnataka Yakshagana and Janapada Academy Award.
World Migratory Bird Day 2019
World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) was initiated in 2006 helds on 12 and is an annual awareness-raising campaign highlighting the need for the conservation of migratory birds and their habitats. Every year people around the world take action and organize public events such as bird festivals, education programmes, exhibitions and bird-watching excursions to celebrate WMBD.
- The Day is celebrated on second Saturday in May and October. In 2019, this Day will be celebrated on 11 May and 10 October. The theme for WMBD 2019 is “Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution!”